We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Is this a nu R&B fit or somethin' else?

Post by pveniot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:28 am

Hi TAXI people,
I just wrote this, 'cause I liked the chord progression.
I am just worried about if this could be a ''Nu R&B'' kind of instrumental.
Whadoyouthink?

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-veniot/the-protector_1

Thanks for your comments

Stay safe now
Pierre
:D Music is the Esperanto of the world. (Duke Ellington)

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Is this a nu R&B fit or somethin' else?

Post by Robertj64 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:28 am

pveniot wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:28 am
Hi TAXI people,
Whadoyouthink?

Thanks for your comments

Stay safe now
Pierre
I like the track from .45 on. I would not start the track cold with the drums like that unless it is an unusual pattern. I would classify it as retro. It has a disco bass in there and a little Dixieland in it but I would not classify this as NU R&B. I would describe it as a 70's song with a throwback to the 20's. In order for it to be NU R&B, I suspect it would have to be more contemporary. The kick would have to be deeper, the keyboards would need to be more updated and the mix would need to have more reverbs, delays, panning to make it more sonic. It is a pleasant track to listen to. It has a more nostalgic feel. I would see it used in a film taking place in the 20's or someone watching an old 20's flick with the music played over. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Robert

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:50 am

Hey Pveniot!

The progression and music is good, but the production definitely gives it more of a dated sound. To compare it to new R&B it would be helpful to have a couple of reference tracks to compare to.

For the track itself, to my ears the drums feel stiff and midi sounding, and distract you from the track. I would suggest finding a reference track your trying to create towards, and see about creating similar drum sounds as the starting point.

Hope that helps,
Brad

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Robertj64 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:28 am
pveniot wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:28 am
Hi TAXI people,
Whadoyouthink?

Thanks for your comments

Stay safe now
Pierre
I like the track from .45 on. I would not start the track cold with the drums like that unless it is an unusual pattern. I would classify it as retro. It has a disco bass in there and a little Dixieland in it but I would not classify this as NU R&B. I would describe it as a 70's song with a throwback to the 20's. In order for it to be NU R&B, I suspect it would have to be more contemporary. The kick would have to be deeper, the keyboards would need to be more updated and the mix would need to have more reverbs, delays, panning to make it more sonic. It is a pleasant track to listen to. It has a more nostalgic feel. I would see it used in a film taking place in the 20's or someone watching an old 20's flick with the music played over. Hope this helps!

Cheers
Robert
Hi Robert, many thx, this is a Work in progress , good advice, I have to 'modernize' the s...t!

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 pm

BradGray wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:50 am
Hey Pveniot!

The progression and music is good, but the production definitely gives it more of a dated sound. To compare it to new R&B it would be helpful to have a couple of reference tracks to compare to.

For the track itself, to my ears the drums feel stiff and midi sounding, and distract you from the track. I would suggest finding a reference track your trying to create towards, and see about creating similar drum sounds as the starting point.

Hope that helps,
Brad
Many THX Brad, good comments, i am still struggling with the drums! Work in progress..

youseeitsme

Post by youseeitsme » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:23 am

I like the overall feel of the track. Maybe get to the meat of the rhythm a little sooner.

I'm getting a late 70s early 80's TV theme music vibe from it. Nothing wrong with that at all but if you are going for a more modern sound I would work on the drums and percussion sounds.

I like to put together a playlist of a particular style that I'm trying to emulate and listen to it as background music throughout the day. Subconsciously I start to pick up on common elements and then they just start appearing in my music.

Hope that helps.

-Peter

pveniot
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pveniot » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:06 am

youseeitsme wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:23 am
I like the overall feel of the track. Maybe get to the meat of the rhythm a little sooner.

I'm getting a late 70s early 80's TV theme music vibe from it. Nothing wrong with that at all but if you are going for a more modern sound I would work on the drums and percussion sounds.

I like to put together a playlist of a particular style that I'm trying to emulate and listen to it as background music throughout the day. Subconsciously I start to pick up on common elements and then they just start appearing in my music.

Hope that helps.

-Peter
Thanks Peter, i did what you said about emulating, good composers do that, you become conscious, print it and write about it!
Happy Holidays!
Pierre