Corporate track return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lucy
Active
Active

Corporate track return

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi taxi friends,

Posting my return in the interests of passing on the learning:

https://www.taxi.com/members/v9orQM1bSs ... or-the-sky

I was using the link below as the ballpark reference track:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tqh10ok7s8xu ... 281%29.mp3

Lots of POSITIVE CORPORATE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal and has tons of credits in Big Films, Countless TV Shows, and Commercials!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples our client gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Company: "We're looking for positive, 'middle-of-the-road' corporate Cues with a blend of modern elements (subtle synths, percussion, etc.) and organic elements (acoustic & electric guitars, piano, strings, etc)."

Please submit well-produced Corporate Instrumental Cues with a positive, uplifting vibe and sound. Craft your submissions around a singular mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. You'd be wise to stick with simpler ideas without any super prominent melodic leads so your Cues won't be distracting under dialog. Your production should be polished and feature current-sounding software sounds and samples – nothing dated or low-quality will work for this pitch.

The critique:

I think you could improve this song by:

... this tempo and relaxed feel is not supplying the same energy levels we saw typified in these reference tracks we got from the client. I would also tend towards more realism in the strings samples.

I returned or forwarded this song because:

When the client directly supplies the reference materials we know that is a great indication of exactly where their head is at - tempo, structure, vibe, etc.

Song instrument sounds or samples sound dated or of a lower quality.

cheers
El

lucy
Active
Active

Re: Corporate track return

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I can see what you mean with the other track being more organic and the strings also sounding a bit midi.

Also I do struggle with making my tracks louder but will investigate how to do that. Definitely room for improvement and will give have another go! :) Thanks again.

cheers
El

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:33 pm

The cue sounds quite positive and uplifting musically but I think the production level is letting it down big time. In addition to what Tom said about it being very low in level It sounds really thin like someone's removed all the fundamental frequencies of the instruments, it almost sounds like I'm listening to it through a cheap radio somewhere over the other side of the room and not a pair of high quality reference speakers.

If you can sort the mix out it would sound so much better.

Mark

lucy
Active
Active

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it. Yep mixing is still something of a dark art for me and I am still trying to find a consistent process.

I'm going to go back and AB with the ref track to see how I can thicken it up and bring out the missing frequencies. Thanks Mark!

cheers
El

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:22 pm

In addition to what Mark said:

the drummer needs to be restrained.

There needs to be a functional bass part.

consider a guitar part that is half an octave lower.

consider building the arrangement in 4 bar phrases instead of having the intro somewhat abruptly switch 4 bars in. Build everything.

Listen to the ref - the synth programming and the 1/4 note piano pulse helps give the piece forward motion. Later synth layers play 1/16's against the piano pulse. Even in the first 0:60 there is a lot of rhythmic activity that propels the cue forward until the entrance of the full drum kit at 1:25. There is 1/16 note percussion from 1:25 on until the break down. The background breathy synth helps to keep the motion going until the drop at 2:10. 2:36 same texture with more ambience trailing.

lucy
Active
Active

Post by lucy » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks Tom for the plug in suggestion. Will check it out for sure.

Thanks Andy for the excellent analysis points. You know I had some similar thoughts on a few of the points you have mentioned so good to know I am not a million miles off track!

I totally agree the drums are too busy in places and definitely need to develop the pulse for forward motion. Thanks so much and am going to spend some time reworking the track. Thanks!

cheers
El