Time to renew?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

chrismh99

Time to renew?

Post by chrismh99 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:41 am

Greeting Fellow passengers. I wrote something this time last year as my renewal date approached to-renew-or-not-to-renew-that-is-the-qu ... 44224.html
Back then I had a forward rate of 30% over the previous 2 years.

So, what’s happened this year?

I got to attend a Taxi event live for the first time when the early ‘Quarantine Happy Hours’ were at 10pm UK time! I also got to go to the Road Rally for the first time, where I learnt lots of useful information.

I have written a lot more this year, in a variety of genres that were new to me. I have also made more submissions. My forward rate was only 15% this year, which I hope is to do with writing in unfamiliar areas.

I’m much better at jumping to point 7 of my 10 step rejection strategy post555718.html#p555718

I have also sent my Taxi rejections to a variety of royalty free sites, which are on the way to paying for my 2021 subscription.

I said last year that I don’t expect to get any deals in the coming year and perhaps Taxi might not be where any deals I do get will come from. Well, I was definitely correct about not getting any deals! However, I don’t think that’s the point. I see Taxi primarily as a place to learn and to keep me focused. Where else would you get the learning you get with Taxi for $199. Berkley? Thinkspace? Both great but much more than $199.

I really enjoy writing and recording and anything else is a bonus. If it’s just about deals money, then I should just get some extra hours in my day job. Deals would be nice though 😉

Hope you are all ok this Christmas and that we have a brighter 2021.

Chris

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Time to renew?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:40 pm

chrismh99 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:41 am
Well, I was definitely correct about not getting any deals! However, I don’t think that’s the point. I see Taxi primarily as a place to learn and to keep me focused. Where else would you get the learning you get with Taxi for $199. Berkley? Thinkspace? Both great but much more than $199.
Hey Chris

To me Taxi is more about putting qualified writers in touch with Libraries but the education side is fairly minimal compared to the places you mentioned. Much of best advice is in the forums or Taxi TV which are both free, plus the RR which comes with the membership package. A couple of lines of submission feedback whilst possibly helpful, motivating or sometimes demotivating is a poor replacement for in the depth music and production tutorials that most people seem to need IMHO.

So I would stick to Taxi for the deadlines, industry briefs, the networking both here and for those that can make it in person the RR...and supplement that with some dedicated education

Of the things I've tried the best I have found is Sync Academy. There's a lot of courses there all by people who are all successful Library composers ( or owners in some case ) and they cover all the popular genres by telling you exactly how they make what they make and guide you through it stage by stage. There's a peer to peer feedback section too where you can post your music for other to listen and comment on. I think it's still $19.99 a month until the year end.

Mark

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Time to renew?

Post by Kolstad » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:07 am

chrismh99 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:41 am
I see Taxi primarily as a place to learn and to keep me focused.
If thats your main reason for signing up, you could just write to the free listings, watch Taxi TV, and post in the p2p forum, which is also free.

Write to listings for a year, finetune the tracks, and then sign up again with a solid portfolio to submit from?

I dunno about all these learning sites. They can be good, but if you need to get real hands-on experience with writing/ composing and producing good music, I dont think there is a substitute for just doing that. If all they do is put you in front of a screen, train you in concepts, lingua and plugin tutorials, and keep you from actual writing/ producing, it can be counter-productive for you. You need to push forward with actual productions to become better, imho..

Also be careful with the royalty free stuff. Some libraries wont sign you, if they learn you do that.
Ceo of my own life