Social networking as a composer?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Social networking as a composer?

Post by mkirbymusic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:07 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if some of you can shed some light on the best way to brand yourself and network as a composer? Now that there probably still won't be conventions for several months at least *gulp*, I feel like the internet is obviously more important than ever for us.

I have gone through a lot of growth and changes in career trajectory the past few months and part of that has been to distance myself from the toxic side of the "music producer" community where I am most experienced, and move into a more professional approach. I've been off of Instgram for virtually this entire month and it has done wonders for me. Now, don't get me wrong, I know that I need a social media presence, and I'm actually very much involved with my YouTube channel, but are their other outlets to utilize?

LinkedIn? Twitter? Facebook?

Next step is creating getting a proper website rather than cheap myurls.co landing page lol. But I'm looking for some advice to kick off 2021 right in terms of where to be seen, where to post etc.

Thanks!

Ps. Part of my decision process has been to drop the producer alias and leave it behind in 2020 as well. Feels like the right decision

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Social networking as a composer?

Post by mkirbymusic » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:48 am

Well.. 439 views and no answer so I guess it doesn't exist :lol:

Here's hoping that there's an in person Road Rally this year!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:18 am

You are asking a very broad a question, which makes it a bit hard to respond sensibly.

Regarding social media, you have to determine the basic why, who, when, where and how questions.

Are you looking to hook up with collaborators? Build a fan base (and who is that fan base, casual music listeners (age, interests ect.), or a B2B audience? If you try to do all at once, your presence will be an unfocused mess and then that will brand you (even your posts here does contribute).

You have to understand how different the audiences are on the various social media platforms, and choose appropriately for your answers to the w questions above.

There is a ton more to understand, but before you do all of this work, you have to clarify the basic stuff for yourself, so what you do makes sense, for yourself and everybody else.

There is a reason why brand consultants cost 200$/hr.

One of the best workbooks on personal branding I have come across is Build a Brand in 30 Days. Check it out and do the work, and you will be able to sort all of this out.

Happy 21!
Ceo of my own life

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:10 am

I honestly don't think it matters, if the music is great and they have clients who could use it they will want it.

If the music is not great or they can't think of a use for it they will ignore or decline you regardless of your social media footprint.

Your "brand" is the quality of your music and how quickly and reliably you deliver what they need.

Mark

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mkirbymusic » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:02 am

Kolstad wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:18 am
You are asking a very broad a question, which makes it a bit hard to respond sensibly.

Regarding social media, you have to determine the basic why, who, when, where and how questions.

Are you looking to hook up with collaborators? Build a fan base (and who is that fan base, casual music listeners (age, interests ect.), or a B2B audience? If you try to do all at once, your presence will be an unfocused mess and then that will brand you (even your posts here does contribute).

You have to understand how different the audiences are on the various social media platforms, and choose appropriately for your answers to the w questions above.

There is a ton more to understand, but before you do all of this work, you have to clarify the basic stuff for yourself, so what you do makes sense, for yourself and everybody else.

There is a reason why brand consultants cost 200$/hr.

One of the best workbooks on personal branding I have come across is Build a Brand in 30 Days. Check it out and do the work, and you will be able to sort all of this out.

Happy 21!
Yes maybe I should be a little more clear. I'm well versed in branding myself as a music producer, formerly selling beats to artists, but I'm focused on the sync industry now. Continuing to submit through TAXI and getting into more libraries, which ultimately leads to business relationships, is probably the best course of action (that's why we're all here right?! :P )

I have a YouTube channel that I'm passionate about and it helps me brand myself as well as build a fanbase for that medium. But I am more curious about having a body of work for potential clients to find outside of TAXI submissions and whether or not something like LinkedIn is regarded higher than something like Instagram on this side of the industry?

I guess I'm looking to hear stories from other members who maybe posted a composer reel on YouTube and got hired to write some tracks for someone, or networked on LinkedIn and someone came across their profile and hired them to write some tracks etc.

mkirbymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mkirbymusic » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:11 am

Kolstad wrote:

This is a great point by the way. I was using the "shotgun" approach for too long, trying to sell beats online, submit for sync, release tracks as an artist, hell I was even running two different YouTube channels up until a few weeks ago :oops:

But narrowing things down was also a big part of my decision process going into this year. I'd rather take leaps forward in a couple of things instead of inching forward in a bunch.

The same thing is also talked about in the TAXI community about getting good a one or two genres instead of trying to write everything.

I appreciate your response!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:50 pm

MichaelSpilnerKirby wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:11 am
Kolstad wrote:

This is a great point by the way. I was using the "shotgun" approach for too long, trying to sell beats online, submit for sync, release tracks as an artist, hell I was even running two different YouTube channels up until a few weeks ago :oops:

But narrowing things down was also a big part of my decision process going into this year. I'd rather take leaps forward in a couple of things instead of inching forward in a bunch.

The same thing is also talked about in the TAXI community about getting good a one or two genres instead of trying to write everything.

I appreciate your response!
Yeah, the hard truth is that one brand can be known for one thing. If you have more things, you need more brands.
It can be a long and labourous process to find that one thing for each brand, and be the best at it.

And tbh, as a composer writing library music, Im not sure about the ROI on a major marketing effort. You need to have a pretty solid portfolio to pull that off, and it will take time and energy from your creative production line.

I would just spend more time producing music and open up pipelines with libraries ect. Then start the marketing efforts once you have 1500-2000 great tracks.

Every success Ive seen has been one who has just churned out good music for 2-3 years to reach a good volume of tracks to build a career upon.
Ceo of my own life