wo Questions on Music Libraries

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tomyco
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

wo Questions on Music Libraries

Post by tomyco » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Two questions on Music libraries.

1. I have a song with a music library (non exclusive) Can I send out the instrumental version to another music library? Do I just tag it Instrumental after the original title? or do I need to come up with another name for the instrumental? I guess I would need to copyright the instrumental as well?

2. I have a song that a music library is interested in. I sent the same song directly to a company who wants two use it in a film. Because of covid, everything is shut down right now so the film is on hold probably for a few months. Being that I sent it directly to the film company prior to sending the song to the music library would there be any issues with the music library?

Thanks!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: wo Questions on Music Libraries

Post by eeoo » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:44 pm

1. Since the library you signed with is non-ex you can do anything you want with it other than sign it to an exclusive deal.
2. Without knowing anything about the agreements that the library and film company would have you sign there's no way of knowing. If either agreement is exclusive and you sign them both, it would be a problem.