Weird Arpeggiator Problem, Any Ideas?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Weird Arpeggiator Problem, Any Ideas?

Post by MusicBug » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:52 am

Hi group. I built an instrumental piece with about 12 tracks, and for one of them I used an arpeggiated synth organ sound. After recording and making sure everything was perfectly aligned to the grid, I saved the file and closed. But when I went back to do some more work on it and listened to it, the organ part was out of sync. So I manually went in and re-aligned it with the grid, saved, and listened back. Perfect. Except that the next time I opened the track, it was off again. I did this 6 times, even going so far as to lock the track. But each time, I had the same problem. So I finally just deleted the track and re-recorded it with a straight synth (no mechanical arpeggiator) and played the arpeggiation myself. That time it worked and has stayed just as I played it.

Can any of you think of a reason why this might have happened? It's just weird, and a huge time waster.

Thanks.
"It's Never Too Late To Be What You Could Have Been." -- George Eliot

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Weird Arpeggiator Problem, Any Ideas?

Post by gitanosoy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi,
I don't know which DAW you are using , I am using Logic and when it comes to saving the composition into FOLDER make sure the boxes are ticked except MOVIE file otherwise some of the data won't be saved.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm

As mentioned, it does depend on the software. The default behavior for MIDI arpeggiators in the software I'm using is beat-aligned, and synced to the downbeat of the measure, which makes it repeatable from session to session. There may be an option to have it free-running and/or real-time aligned, which may cause it to have phase (sync) issues when opening and closing the project. I'm not sure if that's what is happening to you, but the description suggests it. Does that help?

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:42 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:38 pm
MusicBug wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:52 am
Can any of you think of a reason why this might have happened? It's just weird, and a huge time waster.
I had weird timing issues before, too.

In one instance, it was before I had a proper audio interface and my onboard soundcard I guess just could not handle it.

In another case it seemingly was such that the VI had a great delay on some of its notes.

I had other cases too, where a VI sounded delayed, and then I simply shifted the whole track around, which in Cakewalk can be done via a little counter in the MIDI track's "inspector" (I think that is what it is called :?: ). But after that it was in line.

Not sure this helps! :?
Tom
Thank you. I did try that method as it applies in my DAW, but it didn't work. But I appreciate the reply!

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm
As mentioned, it does depend on the software. The default behavior for MIDI arpeggiators in the software I'm using is beat-aligned, and synced to the downbeat of the measure, which makes it repeatable from session to session. There may be an option to have it free-running and/or real-time aligned, which may cause it to have phase (sync) issues when opening and closing the project. I'm not sure if that's what is happening to you, but the description suggests it. Does that help?
Wow, that sounds like what might be causing the problem. I hadn't ever used an arpeggiator before and there are probably settings like this that I know nothing about. I will definitely look into this before I try again. Many thanks.