I'd Love To Have Your Feedback on This Track

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I'd Love To Have Your Feedback on This Track

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 pm

I will definitely buy into a 5-year paradigm shift, that's about how long it takes a generation of electronics - synths, computers, DAW design - to become obsolete and make room for the next generation. Hence those who can afford the bleeding-edge technology show us what can be accomplished, and we must follow.

I was afraid you were suggesting that month-by-month each of us had to immerse in the billboard (or spotify) top 10 and re-certify our production skills :roll:

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: I'd Love To Have Your Feedback on This Track

Post by MusicBug » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:17 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 am
A few thoughts before I read the others feedback:

Very very 80s ..throwback stuff taking us back in in time.
MusicBug wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 pm
My intention was to create an upbeat, happy, synth-based cue
Yeah - Mood wise it's definitely upbeat and happy sounding
MusicBug wrote:
that could work in a travel or adventure show, or something like that.
I think you've missed the boat here. Watch a travel or adventure show that's on TV now...Do you hear anything like this ? Most likely you wouldn't. Maybe in 1985 you could have, but this isn't what they can use now.

The only avenue for this type of material is Movies & TV shows set in the 80's which do happen but are scripted shows/dramas etc where the bar might be higher. Reality TV is easier to get placed into because of how much music they use and the bar may be lower , but what they are looking for now are modern tracks informed by the 80's that sound contemporary. Here is a list from a couple of month's ago from a Taxi friendly library.

80s-Influenced Modern Pop– Fun, upbeat, pop anthems that feel current and contain synths and percussion heard in popular 80s songs.

The Weeknd - “Blinding Lights”
Dua Lipa - “Don’t Start Now”
Dua Lipa - “Hallucinate”
Miley Cyrus - “Midnight Sun”
Robyn - “Dancing On My Own”
Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande - “Rain On Me”
Silk City, Dua Lipa, Diplo, Mark Ronson - “Electricity”
MusicBug wrote:
I really struggled with the mixing and mastering on this, as it was my first real dive into anything this complex. So any helpful advice that way would be most appreciated.
It sounds pretty balanced to me in an 80s way, although the synth that's playing the long chords is kind of masking everything - try rolling some top end off them with a low pass filter.

The addition of the guitar part is a bit out of character with the rest of the track.

I hear some timing issues in the lead part around 2.07 and I'm not sure whether everything is tight on ending, something sounds a bit loose there.

It is a bit repetitive as well, you can probably chop it down to a 90 seconds version and lose a lot of the repetitive vibe.

So a bit of a mixed bag overall, a good first effort but probably the wrong era and references for today's market. A few mix and timing issues that could be improved and shortening it will help with the repetition.

Mark
Wow, Mark, that is some in-depth listening and commenting. Everything you say makes sense and gives me hope for turning this rough attempt into something more professional. I can see I have a lot of re-working to do based on the incredible feedback I've gotten here in the forum. Thank you.
"It's Never Too Late To Be What You Could Have Been." -- George Eliot