Mist Of The Sea - Ears Please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Mist Of The Sea - Ears Please

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:26 am

Here's a link to "Mist Of The Sea". Does the mix sound in balance? Any tweaks needed?

https://soundcloud.com/user-155785959/t ... edFI3wFODA

ORIGINAL SOLO ACOUSTIC GUITAR-BASED SINGER/SONGWRITER SONG needed by MUSIC SUPERVISOR VERY QUICKLY for NETFLIX SHOW! The Sync Fee is $2,000!

We just got this before closing time at TAXI, but thankfully the brief we got from the Supervisor tells you everything you need to know, so we’re just pasting it in below.

Quoting the Music Supervisor: “Here’s what’s going on, Netflix show I’m working on has a scene that takes place in the UK at an outdoor tourist market and they want something that sounds like a Male or Female Solo Guitar Busker is playing somewhere in the market, outside of the shot.

Male or female vocal
Solo acoustic guitar
Folky, slow to mid-tempo, nothing too upbeat.
Thick British accent, 'something that would signal British charm to the tourists.'
Must be able to license master and pub from the creator.
Additional note from the show’s editors:

‘[Producer] used the phrase “English Folk”, for what it’s worth. Not sure if that’s pushing more towards Sea Shanty/ pub song, or “Once” film territory…’

So I guess if they has something a little more traditional sounding, that’s fine too. Might help sell the British imagery. We have 2K all-in for this.”

Pretty self-explanatory. Please make sure you are, or at least “sound” legitimately British for this request. Remember, you’re a busker, so some live feel is recommended!

This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor pitch, so you’ll keep 100% of the $2,000 sync fee, plus you’ll keep 100% of the Publishing and Master ownership. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please DO NOT submit material that is already published by any 3rd party such as CDBaby Pro, Tunecore, etc. Please submit as many songs as you'd like, online (only). NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS for this request. Sorry folks, but we're on an extremely tight deadline, so please don't ask! All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 12 NOON on Sunday, January 17th, 2021. TAXI # S210117UR
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Mist Of The Sea - Ears Please

Post by DBarnett » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:34 am

Sounds good to me, Lamar
Seems to fit the pitch criteria also
Good luck!!

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:53 am

DBarnett wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:34 am
Sounds good to me, Lamar
Seems to fit the pitch criteria also
Good luck!!
Thanks, Dave!
Onward and upward!
Lamar

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 am

Lots to like about it. Good storytelling writing & performance & capture.
A few questions, though: what about this item in the listing specs?

Thick British accent, 'something that would signal British charm to the tourists.'
------------------------------------------------------------------------
the mix: it's a solo with guitar - so everything 'down the middle' may be fine - almost mono.
a 2nd option might be to double-track the guitar, and stereo-pan it, and give the vocal some of its own space.
Wuddyathink about that?

Nice work. HTH.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am

funsongs wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 am
Lots to like about it. Good storytelling writing & performance & capture.
A few questions, though: what about this item in the listing specs?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
the mix: it's a solo with guitar - so everything 'down the middle' may be fine - almost mono.
a 2nd option might be to double-track the guitar, and stereo-pan it, and give the vocal some of its own space.
Wuddyathink about that?

Nice work. HTH.
Thanks for listening and writing, Peter. I had hoped that you might chime in. I hired a British female vocalist off of Fiverr. I shared what little information we were given including the "thick British accent". The pronunciation is clearly British, though maybe not heavy enough. We'll find out.

This mix posed an interesting question. The brief indicated that it needed to be solo guitar and vocal with a "live" feel. So there's not much processing on either the vocal or the guitar. If I were standing in front of a busking duo, how would I hear them? That is how I came up with the current mix. I like your idea though.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:19 pm

If you have a Channel Time Delay plugin you could widen the guitar and possibly add a little more Live feel
I use Reaper as my DAW and it's called Channel Time Delayer, I would think any DAW would have a similar delay tool

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:21 pm

One penny more: true, if the 'accent' were such that the lyrics weren't as clearly understood (my Grandfather was from Oxton-Liverpool) - then the story could get 'lost in the thick', as it were.
Even The Beatles' songs lost most & much of their accent - maybe George's being the most obvious of the bunch.
Your singer's performance of this one is probably a good 'blend' as-is.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:49 pm

DBarnett wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:19 pm
If you have a Channel Time Delay plugin you could widen the guitar and possibly add a little more Live feel
I use Reaper as my DAW and it's called Channel Time Delayer, I would think any DAW would have a similar delay tool
Thanks, Dave. I'll check it out. Wasn't sure if that was something that might be handled in post-production.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:54 pm

funsongs wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:21 pm
One penny more: true, if the 'accent' were such that the lyrics weren't as clearly understood (my Grandfather was from Oxton-Liverpool) - then the story could get 'lost in the thick', as it were.
Even The Beatles' songs lost most & much of their accent - maybe George's being the most obvious of the bunch.
Your singer's performance of this one is probably a good 'blend' as-is.
I'm thankful that you have an ear for UK-based folk music. I'm not very knowledgeable in the finer points of the regional accents. A good blend may be my best bet.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:47 pm

LamarPecorino wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am
I hired a British female vocalist off of Fiverr. I shared what little information we were given including the "thick British accent". The pronunciation is clearly British, though maybe not heavy enough. We'll find out.
Lamar, very nice track. I've never hired anyone to sing, but after reading this thread I went and looked at Fiverr. I didn't even know that existed-- I'm gonna try it out. I saw some singers on there whose voices I liked and would have been great for this listing. It's crazy that you were able to get vocals done on a track so quickly-- the listing wasn't even open for two whole days.

I wrote a nice track for this listing, but couldn't get the recording above the bar in time and had other issues. Threw a 3 pointer at the buzzer and it bounced off the backboard. Oh well. Next time I might just hire someone-- especially when they want a specific accent. Mine was more in the "Once" Soundtrack realm, or like a Billy Bragg song.

Hey I saw you got a forward. Awesome! Good luck!