Tell Us What Works Best for You!

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bakerstreet
Active
Active

Re: Tell Us What Works Best for You!

Post by bakerstreet » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 am

For compressors I like the Waves L2, but I mostly use Native Instruments VC2 VC76 and VC160 and Transient Master

VC2 for vocals, VC-76 (1176) & Transient Master for drums, & Bass

VC-160 for anything else I guess.
Paul Howes (aka Reg) - Don't ask, unless we are at the bar.

"The greatest art in the world is the art of story telling" - Cecil B DeMille

I hope you music tells a story.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:00 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:13 pm
My slightly aging set up :-
Wow...just realised I'd posted a few years back...things have changed in my setup

Win 7 Core i5 PC / Dual 22" monitors Win 10 12 core Ryzen 3900 PC with Dual 24" monitors..EDIT..plus I have a 3rd 40" screen now as of Jan 2022
Focusrite Pro24 DSP Audient ID4
Adam A7 Monitors APS Klassik 2020 Speakers
Avantone Mixcube
Old Boombox
Behringer Monitor2
Evolution MK-225c Keyboard Oxygen Pro 61 Controller keyboard ... :shock: how the hell did I ever manage with 25 keys
AT 4040 Mic
Focusrite LiquidMix Sold

Sonar 8.5 Cakewalk By Bandlab..a much updated version of Sonar
Fabfilter Bundle
Brainworx Bundle
Izotope Alloy
Echoboy
Waves Plugins -SSL , API etc
Elysia Alpha Compressor
Breverb
Valhalla Room

Kontakt with Multiple Libraries
Massive
Serum
etc.

Wavelab 6
Har-Bal 2.3
I now master in the DAW session with Ozone 8 ..now Ozone 9
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisjackson

Post by chrisjackson » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate this topic. I'm a Taxi newbie, self taught acoustic guitar banjo and ukulele player (only learnt to spell that word 2 days ago!). I write and record songs and some classical style pieces. I get positive feedback about the tunes themselves but a lot of comments about "background noise" and the need to "clean up the recording environment".

I would like to specifically ask what equipment do you use for recording acoustic instruments? And what steps do you take to "clean up the recording environment"?

I use a zoom H2 handy recorder which has its own built in mic (maybe I'm going wrong there?) and when recording I make a small sound booth with some furniture (hanging curtains etc) in my spare room. That's it.

I'd really appreciate some of your thoughts and experiences on what I could be doing better. Please bear in mind that I am also a newbie to recording systems and products, without much technical know-how, so if you're thinking "He just needs to cut out the PRN override with a couple of ZX53's" or something like that, please say in simple words what PRN override is and what ZX53's are. (I don't think PRN Override is a thing, but if you want to know what a ZX53 is, I just looked it up: https://new.abb.com/products/2CPX039053R9999/zx53)

I'm really enjoying being part of Taxi and I'm really grateful for the feedback that I've had so far – just the fact that someone is prepared to sit down and listen to my music is a big deal for me. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:55 pm

chrisjackson wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:41 pm
I use a zoom H2 handy recorder which has its own built in mic (maybe I'm going wrong there?)
Yeah you've just diagnosed it yourself, I have a Zoom handheld recorder but it's just to take out to record stuff in the field or capture ideas out on the road - they aren't really intended as a replacement for proper studio mic and pre-amp/audio interface.

For starters they have auto gain control on by default so this will bring up all the noise as the source sound decays and you'll have all the stuff in the background made louder by the unit. Plus the mic & pre-amps won't rival any half serious studio kit.

Get a proper mic and audio interface and it will make a massive difference.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:55 pm

PayPal

#WorkForHire

:lol: :lol:

chrisjackson

Post by chrisjackson » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:54 pm

Thanks Cosmic Dolphin. That's very helpful.

I think I can find a decent mic quite easily, but any recommendations for a good audio interface?
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:55 pm
chrisjackson wrote:
I use a zoom H2 handy recorder which has its own built in mic (maybe I'm going wrong there?)
Yeah you've just diagnosed it yourself, I have a Zoom handheld recorder but it's just to take out to record stuff in the field or capture ideas out on the road - they aren't really intended as a replacement for proper studio mic and pre-amp/audio interface.

For starters they have auto gain control on by default so this will bring up all the noise as the source sound decays and you'll have all the stuff in the background made louder by the unit. Plus the mic & pre-amps won't rival any half serious studio kit.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:03 pm

chrisjackson wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:54 pm
I think I can find a decent mic quite easily, but any recommendations for a good audio interface?
Depends on your needs, for a small one with a couple of inputs, good low latency drivers and high quality mic pre-amps I reccommend the Audient ID4

JaredHallock
Active
Active

Re: Steven Slate's VSX simulated mix rooms.

Post by JaredHallock » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Steven Slate just released the VSX headphones and they are killer. Does anybody else use them?

JaredHallock
Active
Active

Post by JaredHallock » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 pm

chrisjackson wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:54 pm
Thanks Cosmic Dolphin. That's very helpful.

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:55 pm
chrisjackson wrote:

I like the Apogee Duet:).

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:57 am

JarrodHallock wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 pm
I like the Apogee Duet:).
Very nice if you can justify spending that much, but they are 4 or 5 times the price of some other very good interfaces - I think I'd rather spend the additional ££'s on better monitors or room treatment , or something like Sonarworks personally as the interface isn't usually the weakest link even with a budget model. But they are up there with the best if that's what you want and they are in your budget.