Feedback for Americana instrumental

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

funkyguitar
Active
Active

Feedback for Americana instrumental

Post by funkyguitar » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:54 pm

Hey guys, I'd love some feedback on this recording for TAXI # S210131AM, Americana instrumentals. Any comments about the production, songwriting, anything at all would be much appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/lancevallis/taxi ... 021-246-pm

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback for Americana instrumental

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:17 pm

hey Lance, good stuff!
I like the melody and the arc of the piece. It works. I think you could improve this by (am I sounding like a screener? I am not one!) getting the melody to stand out more. The 8th-note backbeat was almost masking it out in the second half of the piece. Let the guitar melody really take center stage :)

funkyguitar
Active
Active

Post by funkyguitar » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks Alan! I'll think about how to make the melody stand out more. Do you hear it as a mixing issue and just simply raising up the volume of the guitar melody would address this or something else?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:39 pm

funkyguitar wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm
Thanks Alan! I'll think about how to make the melody stand out more. Do you hear it as a mixing issue and just simply raising up the volume of the guitar melody would address this or something else?
Always start with a volume adjustment. Play it back at different monitor levels to hear how the balance changes. You can sweeten the guitar as you see fit, maybe double-track it (in certain sections) or change up the ambience to keep it interesting - and give editors some options - but that it secondary to the ensemble sound, IMHO. Don't be afraid to ride gain levels as the piece progresses!

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi,
I can't hear the melody line, to low and when the drum comes in it overtakes the lead even more.

funkyguitar
Active
Active

Post by funkyguitar » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I tried to address them. I double-tracked the guitar and I was trying to think of an overdub to enhance the melody somehow but couldn't think of anything so just went with the double-tracked main guitar. Here's the latest, would love any feedback as to how to improve it:

https://soundcloud.com/lancevallis/taxi ... 21-1032-pm

MusicBug
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MusicBug » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:21 am

Hi Lance. I'm posting without reading the comments others have made.

I listened to your piece twice and then went back and focused on a couple of spots that caught my attention. I think the melody is very strong, nice and catchy. Love the mandolin and the banjo towards the end. Pacing is great. The guitar parts are well played but it seemed to me that they were a bit muddy in the mix, or muffled somehow. Also, at 1:02 the entrance of the guitar is kind of jarring, maybe because the volume is abruptly louder. Perhaps a smoother transition there?

Other than that I think you've got it. Great job! I hope this helps you.
"It's Never Too Late To Be What You Could Have Been." -- George Eliot

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:06 am

funkyguitar wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I tried to address them. I double-tracked the guitar and I was trying to think of an overdub to enhance the melody somehow but couldn't think of anything so just went with the double-tracked main guitar. Here's the latest, would love any feedback as to how to improve it:
https://soundcloud.com/lancevallis/taxi ... 21-1032-pm
Hi Lance, Nice track, and in general I like what you've done, but I think there are a few issues (and I'm listening to your remix).
In my opinion (for what that's worth)...
- the main strum guitar is a little too proud in the mix.
- that strum guitar has a nice stereo sound, but between 1:02 and 1:06 it sounds like there's a mono section edited in.
- the banjo in the final section sounds good (is that Realibanjo?) but check the midi for the final section at 1:22 because it goes off-key.
- the drums are a bit plain and dry and could perhaps sit back just a touch more.
Check whether others are saying similar things, and if so, you can adjust accordingly.
I hope that helps.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

funkyguitar
Active
Active

Post by funkyguitar » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 pm

Thank you again for all the feedback. I tried to address everything suggested. I used Band In A Box RealTracks for the band and overdubbed acoustic guitar rhythm and melody. I tried to blend all the guitars as well as possible, not sure it's there yet or how to fix it. Anyway, here's where' it's at:

https://soundcloud.com/lancevallis/taxi ... 921-752-pm

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:25 am

I'd say that's a bit closer Lance. IMHO the mix is still not quite there, as it sounds quiet and slightly dull early on, but gets better as the track progresses and the more forward instruments enter. However, the show-stopper for me is still the banjo at the end. It sounds great but it needs a more appropriate (in key) phrase on the final D before the ending. If you can fix that then even-out the mix a bit more you're cooking! Good luck with it.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.