Logic drummer?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

awalsh

Logic drummer?

Post by awalsh » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 pm

Hello!

I'm getting back into Taxi after a long break.

I've been using Logic as my DAW and I'd like to use Logic drummer. Is anyone using it for production music? Music cues, etc.?

Is it good enough or should I not waste time trying to figure it out and invest in something like superior drummer3?

I used sonoma wireworks drumcore on a few albums about 8 years ago but since then have worked with a live drummer so I haven't kept up with the technology.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Logic drummer?

Post by gitanosoy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:54 am

Logic drummer is amazing, used by a lot of professional engineers and producers, after all the samples are recorded from real drummers.

I personally give it two thumbs up and use it all the time.
Last edited by gitanosoy on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:07 pm

awalsh wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 pm
Hello!

I'm getting back into Taxi after a long break.

I've been using Logic as my DAW and I'd like to use Logic drummer. Is anyone using it for production music? Music cues, etc.?

Is it good enough or should I not waste time trying to figure it out and invest in something like superior drummer3?

I used sonoma wireworks drumcore on a few albums about 8 years ago but since then have worked with a live drummer so I haven't kept up with the technology.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Alex
+1 I use it all the time. You can also have the Logic Drummer module play other drum kits (Easy Drummer etc.). You just need to change the instrument on the insert in Logic. Check out the tutorials on Youtube.
Cheers,
Matt

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:34 pm

I love it. It's such a quick and easy way to get into the heart of arranging a project or writing a song without wasting time. I use it on my final mixes-- though I've been thinking of doing what Matt said-- converting the regions to MIDI files and then swapping out the samples with other 3rd party kits.

It bums me out that it seems Apple is going in other directions with Logic (beat-making/loops/etc), rather than expanding Drummer-- which to me is the best part of it. I haven't upgraded to 10.5 yet-- so correct me if I'm wrong, but I read about it and it seems they made no improvements to Drummer that I know of. There's so much potential-- Like a grid section instead of that goofy X/Y axis for when you know specifically where you want certain drums to hit-- you can do the surgery in MIDI/Piano Roll-- but it breaks the workflow.

It would be nice to have some new Drummers-- even for basic styles, like just maybe a few more rock/metal drummers. It would be awesome if they made it simple process where it could create a drum bus with individual tracks in the mixer for each drum, if you wanted it. EDIT-- I just now found out about using "Producer Kits" which makes it simple to route each piece of the kit to it's own mixer channel-- nested within a Track Stack. Pretty cool. I'm not seeing if there is a fast and easy way to bounce audio regions to each separate track though.
Last edited by Ted on Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awalsh

Post by awalsh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like people are using it professionally, that’s cool. I’ve worked with it a little bit, going back and forth between the dum track and midi roll to try to craft an arrangement. I guess every program has its limitations. My drum programming skills are very basic at this point.
For a quick idea creator it seems ideal. I’ll dig into it more because I already have it and see what happens.
Alex

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:42 am

Hey guys, I just found a GREAT video that demonstrates how to use Logic with third party drum instruments/samples. More than that, I think I've hit the gold mine as far as finding the best teacher of anything and everything related to audio production on YouTube. This guy's channel is called "dancetech". I'd never heard of him but stumbled on his channel a few days ago and watched his entire series of videos on EQ/Mixing and most of his series on compression. Phenomenal teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6LJFlNlVaQ

He has a ton of videos on Logic. Hell, he does a whole series on T Racks 5 plugins that blew my mind.

Raj

Post by Raj » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:14 am

Thanks, this is extremely useful!