How Long it Takes Before a Deal -- Tell Your Stories Here!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Gregbouts

Re: How Long it Takes Before a Deal -- Tell Your Stories Here!

Post by Gregbouts » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:15 am

calumupton wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:37 pm
Gregbouts wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:49 am

Thx for the reply and I'm trying to take into account your many good points. To answer your questions I live in NY so I don't get out to the Road Rally etc. However, it does keep me motivated by creating deadlines. I've submitted about 100 tracks over the course of 4 years - so I'm approximately 50% forwards. Reviewing my forwards I noticed many of the 'droney' tracks were forwarded and recently 'investigative tension' tracks are getting forwarded as well. But, unfortunately, no responses - it very disappointing. I've done much better with Broadjam where I signed 18 tracks with publishers last year. I just don't get it about TAXI - I'm getting to the point it feels like throwing "good money after bad" if you know what I mean.
Yeah I understand totally. There might be something in the genres you mentioned being quite competitive - I've seen some long lists in the forwards blog for those listings. In these cases, it could be easier to stand out if you contact libraries directly (I recommend finding a library with a hole, and offering them a finished album to fill it).

I have a similar thing with Dramedy. My experience:

TAXI member for 12 months in 2018. 65 track forwards from 97 submissions.

Deal 1 - Unsure what the listing was... contacted Aug 2018.
Deal 2 - Hybrid Trailer listing - forwarded Oct 2018, contacted Feb 2019.

I had 30 Dramedy forwards and no contact in relation to those tracks, but I was also contacting libraries directly during 2018. All of the Dramedy tracks composed for TAXI listings ended up signed to libraries, just not via TAXI.

Being 'in' with a few new libraries kept me busy, so I didn't renew TAXI beyond 2018.

In the last 6 months some of those Dramedy tracks originally composed for TAXI listings have started to pay royalties, and I'm again looking to grow my unsigned catalog, so I've renewed on a 2-4-1 deal to restart the cycle.

In short, I'd recommend knowing why you're using TAXI and remembering that you can always switch it off / on.

Thanks for your response. Yes I've worked with others as well ie Broadjam. I signed 18 songs with other Libs last year. Good point about "switching on/off." Thanks again.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:46 am

kc2812 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:38 am
No one have any comments regarding this?
kc2812 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:14 pm
Just throwing in my numbers: My first forwards were back in the 2011. From 2011 to 2021 I’ve had around 60 forwards, but have never heard back. So even if you get forwarded you’re not guaranteed to hear back unfortunately. However one day may be the lucky day. Don’t give up and remember: write, submit, forget.

The styles which I’ve got forwarded range from hip hop, world music, dramedy, ambient, drone, comedy cues, trap and more.

Will also mention that I’ve more than once have had bulks of 10-12 different cues being forward for one listing.
I would have thought with 60 Forwards something would have happened but averaging 6 Forwards a year is not very many...at that rate it would have taken me about 4-5 years to get into my first Library instead of a 4-5 months.

Also consider that Drones are notoriously over-saturated as they need sound design skills rather than musical ones so if a bulk of your forwards are from those it may be affecting the stats.

There are other ways to get into Libraries too so don't only rely on one method

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:04 pm

There is also the 'Taxi Graveyard' approach which sometimes works, i.e. you submit forwarded (though silent) or returned Taxi stuff to your existing publishers for consideration............
Cheers,
Matt