Multiple Non-Exclusive Libraries - One Song

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JackOberkirsch27
Active
Active

Multiple Non-Exclusive Libraries - One Song

Post by JackOberkirsch27 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:04 pm

Hey all! I have a quick question for you. I'm sure the answer is elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. But I'm wondering this...am I able to have the same song signed in say 3 different libraries as long as all 3 deals are non-exclusive deals or is there something against that?

Just want to get this straight. Thanks!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Multiple Non-Exclusive Libraries - One Song

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:53 am

JackOberkirsch27 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:04 pm
Hey all! I have a quick question for you. I'm sure the answer is elsewhere, but I couldn't find it. But I'm wondering this...am I able to have the same song signed in say 3 different libraries as long as all 3 deals are non-exclusive deals or is there something against that?

Yes you can if they are all Non _ Ex although they will each need their own unique title

i.e. Jack's Song - Song For Jack - Jack's anthem

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:34 pm

You can. Some non-exclusive libraries do the re-titling for you, others want you to re-title. Make sure you know how they do it, if you get contacted as you don't want multiple libraries registering or trying to register the same title.

Many composers do this very readily- place the same song in multiple non-exclusive re-title libraries with good success. However, not everyone thinks it's a good idea. It's an age old debate. The possible cons are your songs ending up with a supervisor from different sources, creating pricing and ownership concerns, devaluating our work with over-saturation, etc. Some TV shows/networks no longer accept music from non-exclusive sources. OTOH, I know if hadn't put songs in more than one library, I wouldn't have had the placements I've had so far. Right now I have a mix. Some with exclusive, others multiple non-exclusive.

Another thing to mention is if the different non-exclusive libraries pitch different markets, conflicts don't really exist. For example, one library that focuses on in-store airplay, one the RF market, one reality TV show cues.

There is no right answer. Learn as much as you can and decide what works for you.

Good luck!
Casey

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:06 am

You can, but it doesnt make much sense if the libraries pitch your music to the same opportunities. If they cover different territories, like the US and Asia or something, it might be a case to sign with two non-ex. In that case they have different networks, and feed different end users.

I like to sign with non-ex, because I keep my rights and have freedom to act with opportunities in real time, and if there are changes with the company (which quite often happens in the library mrkt), the music wont get stuck in a passive humdrum. But I don’t offer the same music to two similar non-ex libraries, I’d rather treat it like if it was an exclusive. It will get placed if you believe in the company you sign with.

Always do proper and thorough research before you sign.
Ceo of my own life

noelscustomdesigns

Post by noelscustomdesigns » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:37 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:53 am
JackOberkirsch27 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:04 pm

Yes you can if they are all Non _ Ex although they will each need their own unique title

i.e. Jack's Song - Song For Jack - Jack's anthem
Hi, I'm Noel Shusted and I'm a newbie still. I wasn't sure where to post a question so am doing so here. I have had 2 forwards on the same song. My first forward did not say it was exclusive per se, but said "specific deal points would be on a case by case basis. If you're inclined to do an exclusive deal, don't submit material that is in other libraries or publishers." The second one also did not mention exclusive deal. Thanks for the info on retitling your song if it's the same one. I am a singer/songwriter and my adult Contemporary song is titled "Mirror Mirror." Would it be acceptable in the future to name the song ie. Mirror Mirror 1, Mirror Mirror 2 etc. One submission was for a music publisher, the other for a Grammy artist. I've been a Taxi member for almost a year now, but this is the first time I've been on the forum. Does anyone have suggestions of the most helpful forum areas to get helpful info? Thanks so much for your help fellow Taxi members. I watch Taxi tv and love it.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:40 pm

noelshusted1965 wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:37 pm
Would it be acceptable in the future to name the song ie. Mirror Mirror 1, Mirror Mirror 2 etc. One submission was for a music publisher, the other for a Grammy artist. I've been a Taxi member for almost a year now, but this is the first time I've been on the forum. Does anyone have suggestions of the most helpful forum areas to get helpful info? Thanks so much for your help fellow Taxi members. I watch Taxi tv and love it.
Hi Noel , welcome to the Forum. Well done on the two forwards, as a rule it's doubtful you'll hear back from both so if you are happy with the first deal then I wouldn't wait around on the other Library.

You can use the search function to find previous answers to similar questions as most have been answered at some point - You can always post in the General Hangout if you're not sure.

For Taxi submission purposes there is no need to give them different names, re-titling is something that would usually be done if you sign the same song to multiple non-exclusive libraries and not a concern at this stage. The library may well choose their own title anyway. And you probably wouldn't want to give them numbers, you'd call them something like :

Non_exclusive Library A - Mirror Mirror

Non_exclusive Library B - Mirror on The Wall

Non_exclusive Library C - Reflections of Me

That sort of thing. Hope that helps, keep watching Taxi TV as there is tons of helpful info on there. Good Luck with hearing back from your forwards but keep pitching that song if any more listings show up.

Mark