Ideas on how to Make this track Bigger and more Cinematic

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Skylarvj

Ideas on how to Make this track Bigger and more Cinematic

Post by Skylarvj » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:55 pm

No Time To Fail
https://www.skylarvj.com/taxi-forum-sharing

Would greatly appreciate some more advice on this trailer track.
Any ideas on how I can go bigger and more cinematic with this track? I get pretty big toward the end of this piece. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do differently on my next one. Maybe more synths, however, I was scared to add too much of that to this listing since it said orchestral.

Also, I seem to be struggling with the middle section of these trailer cues. Do you hear 3 sections?

Thanks for your tips :)

Critique From Taxi Screener 419

[/u][/u]I think you could improve this song by
While this could work well for some scripted and non-scripted shows, unfortunately, the production / virtual sounds and mix are not organic or cinematic enough for BIG Hollywood Movie Trailers. The track is also missing a middle section / breakdown for the Hollywood "three act" tailer formula requested and referenced in the examples.
I returned or forwarded this song because
Needs a bigger / more polished production for this request.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Ideas on how to Make this track Bigger and more Cinematic

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:46 pm

Probably not the best time to listen to this as I just finished an Orchestral Hybrid but I will give it a quick listen.

Few things: The drums are a bit too loud when they come in at 1:05 maybe use automation and raise the volume as it moves forward. The descending spiral effect at 1:32 throws me off, kind of takes away from the mood, it doesn't blend in with the other instrumentation.

I hear two parts for sure the third part I am not really sure. I agree with the screener about the strings, in the higher register ones they sound a little synthetic but it is really close from sounding natural, maybe a bit more tweaking with the EQ and the right reverb.

That's my two cents for now before my ears start bleeding :D

Skylarvj

Post by Skylarvj » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:20 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:46 pm
Probably not the best time to listen to this as I just finished an Orchestral Hybrid but I will give it a quick listen.

Few things: The drums are a bit too loud when they come in at 1:05 maybe use automation and raise the volume as it moves forward. The descending spiral effect at 1:32 throws me off, kind of takes away from the mood, it doesn't blend in with the other instrumentation.

I hear two parts for sure the third part I am not really sure. I agree with the screener about the strings, in the higher register ones they sound a little synthetic but it is really close from sounding natural, maybe a bit more tweaking with the EQ and the right reverb.

That's my two cents for now before my ears start bleeding :D
Thank You.

I'll keep all that in mind. Now that I listen with fresher ears, I agree the spiral effect is poorly mixed. I have spitfire strings and I find it's all about how you use them. One track they sound real another they sound awful.

Good to know you agree with the screener about the form. I'll have to find ways to make it more obvious on my next one.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 am

Skylarvj wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:55 pm
Any ideas on how I can go bigger and more cinematic with this track? I get pretty big toward the end of this piece. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do differently on my next one. Maybe more synths, however, I was scared to add too much of that to this listing since it said orchestral.
It's all about arrangement and layering. The brass section is what gives the "power" so in Act 3 you probably want to be driving the track with big sounding marcato brass chords. Stack things in octaves, layer them with synths, double your percussion with electronic kits etc. Add risers...you might need to layer 4 or 5 for the final payoff.

But basically stack things - one part played by 3 or instruments sounds more powerful than 3 instruments all playing their own parts.

Distortion is also your friend. Here's one signed to a Taxi friendly library this month

https://soundcloud.com/cosmicdolphin/ma ... KB2uv8EsyI

Skylarvj

Post by Skylarvj » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:07 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 am
It's all about arrangement and layering. The brass section is what gives the "power" so in Act 3 you probably want to be driving the track with big sounding marcato brass chords. Stack things in octaves, layer them with synths, double your percussion with electronic kits etc. Add risers...you might need to layer 4 or 5 for the final payoff.

But basically stack things - one part played by 3 or instruments sounds more powerful than 3 instruments all playing their own parts.

Distortion is also your friend. Here's one signed to a Taxi friendly library this month
More Layers and Stronger Brass sounds like a plan to me. I'll give that a shot.

Your track was pretty awesome by the way. Thanks for the advice and sharing.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:42 pm

Also don't forget to play around with the velocity of the notes either post recording or using your mod wheel( assuming you midi controller has one) to record live when tracking to giving a more realistic sound to how the musician would play their instrument Here is one video https://youtu.be/HjOS4AfqoEs.

I use BBC free as well and yes it can be a little moody sometimes but I will use my logic strings, French horns, Tuba e.t.c with the BBC ones sometimes.

Good luck.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:56 pm

Skylarvj wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:07 pm
Your track was pretty awesome by the way. Thanks for the advice and sharing.
Thanks - no worries - your low end was pretty loud here too it's probably eating your headroom and unbalancing the track on systems with decent lows