Anyone into dark pop?

Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Anyone into dark pop?

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:09 am

Hey all, just wondering if anyone that's into dark pop might fancying collabing. I've been toying about with the idea below with a view to developing a Billie Eilish style dark pop meets creepy nursery rhyme style track. I've got an idea for lyrics and topline melody in my head but want to nail down a track first I guess. The clip attached is my attempt so far, limited and undercooked as it may be:

https://soundcloud.com/user-539228525/s ... AIvKfFs6N4

Basically I found this music box sample and added some reverb and delay to get the creepy sound I wanted and came up with a creepy but very basic melody that I then tried to build everything else around. Not a lot else in this apart from three of four layered foley sounds and found sounds and a transistor bass and some drums. Was trying to get that Finneas/Billie Eilish 'gluck gluck' flam type sound but the more I listen the more I think I missed the mark on that one.

This is just a very quick and dirty idea so not really precious about anything in it really. Well, apart from the music box melody that is like the hook and the vinyl sound as they are central to the vibe I was going for! This still needs a lot of work and polishing some I'm hoping someone might be at least slightly intrigued by it and up for collabing as I've probably taken it about as far as I can on my on (I know my limitations!).Hit me up here or via DM if interested at all and we can get chatting some more.

Thanks.

donnushka

Re: Anyone into dark pop?

Post by donnushka » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi, I'm into dark pop and like what you've done so far. I am not a vocalist but rather, a lyricist. I could do a placeholder vocal... What scenario were you thinking about when you wrote the track?? Donna

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:38 am

Hey. To be honest I've only really got a vague idea about what I'd like it to be about. I've got the opening two lines lyrics wise but nothing else beyond that really. Still trying to hit upon the snappy turn of phrase that captures the song and can act as a hook. I've a verse topline in mind - it's very rough though and still needs tweaked but on the whole it's a very basic nursery rhyme style melody (ie ascending/descending 1/8 notes that, coincidentally enough, Billie Eilish often uses in her darker stuff). I like the contrast between having a very innocent and childlike melody with dark lyrics and dark layers/samples. Easier to imagine all of this than t is to pull it off though :lol:

IanShortfall
Impressive
Impressive

Post by IanShortfall » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:30 am

I love the idea, I do lyrics and have a few vocalists I use for my own stuff.

This is some of the stuff I produced recently... not as dark as what you are going for, but I think I could do a pretty good topline.

https://www.taxi.com/members/cwWG61UaSy ... h-the-life

https://www.taxi.com/members/cwWG61UaSy ... t-me-first

https://www.taxi.com/members/cwWG61UaSy ... -boom-boom

Let me know if you want to kick some ideas around, live the idea you have so far, hope it gets turned into an awesome track really soon :)

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm

Really digging your tracks Ian. Happy to kick some ideas about if you;re game.

Drop me a PM and we can chat a little more.