Shameless Self Promotion - Do I have to beg :)

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Shameless Self Promotion - Do I have to beg :)

Post by Stubee » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:23 pm

https://soundcloud.com/stuthaler

I made some major revisions to Show Me The Way since I originally posted this. I changed the entire vibe and genre.
I am wondering if I improved the product or not.

If you listen I thank you. If you have feedback on anything that you think I should change I thank you even more.
I love brutally honest feedback. I'm new to Taxi and I want to get good at recognizing things that may be good
but don't work for sync licensing.

Thanks,
Stu
Last edited by Stubee on Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Shameless Self Promotion - Do I have to beg :)

Post by AlanHall » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:46 pm

Hi Stu!
I like what I'm hearing, getting an 'authentic vibe' as if I'm listening to bootlegs from a Grateful Dead concert. You're laying it down, and it's a real honest feel, but not what I would call broadcast quality. Some improvements to the engineering are needed to get it to that bar. It's a transition from artist to engineer, but one that has to made for library music.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:24 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:46 pm
Hi Stu!
I like what I'm hearing, getting an 'authentic vibe' as if I'm listening to bootlegs from a Grateful Dead concert. You're laying it down, and it's a real honest feel, but not what I would call broadcast quality. Some improvements to the engineering are needed to get it to that bar. It's a transition from artist to engineer, but one that has to made for library music.
Ditto what Alan wrote. I'll add: an honest question will likely receive an honest answer.

Some of the songs that are just vocal and guitar, I hope to someday heard with a full-band backing:
drums, bass, piano, etc.
If you were up to hiring a company like Beaird Music Group in Nashville, some top-notch Country backing could really make your songs "sing".
Pun only sorta intended.
My 2 cents.
Good luck with your production future, however you manage that.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Thank you for your honest feedback. I have been trying to educate myself to engineer my own recordings. Any suggestions are much appreciated? Are the mixes muddy, unbalanced, etc?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:53 am

Had a listen to the first track Show Me The Way

Right of the bat I can hear that everything is out of time with each other ..the guitars - drums - bass ...none of them lock together so those performance issues would mean it already falls below Broadcast Quality for use in Sync

Production wise it's very muddy , there's a lot of reverb and the guitar sound is kinda dated - 80's sounding

I'm not a huge fan of the vocal either - It could be viable with some work but it sounds like you have a habit of pushing things into a very forward nasal placement which is not very pleasant to listen to and there are pitch issues although these can fixed if you are good with tuning software.

Had a quick skim through the others, I don't hear the same timing issues but mostly they are dated sounding production wise with that unappealing forward vocal tone - The better sounding tracks are the ones that rely on more Trad style instrumentation such as " Sunrise In Sumeria " and it sounds like the vocals are in a more comfortable range too which helps with pitch and tone.

Mark

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:04 am

I am new at the and really appreciate your honest feedback. I have hard time recognizing areas that I have to work on from an objective point of view
so your feedback is very much welcome. Thank you.

-Stu

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:50 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:53 am
Had a listen to the first track Show Me The Way

Right of the bat I can hear that everything is out of time with each other ..the guitars - drums - bass ...none of them lock together so those performance issues would mean it already falls below Broadcast Quality for use in Sync

Production wise it's very muddy , there's a lot of reverb and the guitar sound is kinda dated - 80's sounding

I'm not a huge fan of the vocal either - It could be viable with some work but it sounds like you have a habit of pushing things into a very forward nasal placement which is not very pleasant to listen to and there are pitch issues although these can fixed if you are good with tuning software.

Had a quick skim through the others, I don't hear the same timing issues but mostly they are dated sounding production wise with that unappealing forward vocal tone - The better sounding tracks are the ones that rely on more Trad style instrumentation such as " Sunrise In Sumeria " and it sounds like the vocals are in a more comfortable range too which helps with pitch and tone.

Mark

Hi Mark I rerecord it in the Rock genre instead. I was wondering if you had time to listen to this version. I just want to know if I made it better or worse. I appreciate and value your honest feedback.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:42 am

Hi Stu - the rock version sounds more in time and the parts lock together better , the little drum fill sounds kinda clumsy though. I still hear vocal tuning issues and they are buried in reverb

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:27 am

Thank you, Mark. I'll cut back some more reverb. I'm using the Logic Pro drummer. I can try cutting the fills out. I tried downloading Steve Slate Drums software but it doesn't seem to be working with the Mac Big Sur OS.

Thank you for your feedback. It's been very helpful.

-Stu