Submitting multiple versions/edits of the same track?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dbtruen

Submitting multiple versions/edits of the same track?

Post by dbtruen » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:21 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a relative newbie to taxi. And 100% newbie to the forum. So Hello!

I've had moderate success with submissions so far but would love to get the submission game closer to nailed. What I'm wondering is, is it worth submitting multiple versions of the same track?

For example, the track I'm working on for submission tonight is a Lo-Fi Hip Hop instrumental so is fairly repetitive in it's nature. The track has an A and B section which goes back and forth and I think it works well like that. HOWEVER, the reference tracks stick mostly to one loop. I find that for my track it works better and has more movement with the two different, albeit similar, sections.

So... I'm wondering is it worth submitting 2 versions of my track to cover my bases - One as it is now with the 2 sections and a second edit which sticks to the A section?

Is this something anyone has had any experience with?

(and btw, apologies if I've posted in the wrong place or missed a thread covering this already)

Thanks,

Dan

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Submitting multiple versions/edits of the same track?

Post by superkons » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:25 am

I have done that in past, as I thought different versions of the same piece could work equally well. In terms of forwards, I have had mixed results, say, 50/50
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:37 am

Hi Dan,
When you think about it, this is a bit of an odd question. If you 'nail' the submission you won't need two shots. Hedging your bets by having two goes at it means you're not confident you're 'nailed' it with either one :).

I'm sure I've heard of people doing this before, but I don't think its a good idea unless you're absolutely certain that every other aspect your track(s) is spot-on to the listing requirements other than the arrangement. If not, they'll both be returned and you'll probably learn nothing extra for the additional $5. Lo-fi hip hop is a fairly popular request, so another listing for it will come around before long, so unless you're absolutely desperate to get a forward for this particular listing, I'd say submit just the one version that you think works best (and it sounds like you've already decided that). OTOH, if you won't miss $5 then there's no harm in it.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

dbtruen

Post by dbtruen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:19 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:37 am
Hi Dan,
When you think about it, this is a bit of an odd question. If you 'nail' the submission you won't need two shots. Hedging your bets by having two goes at it means you're not confident you're 'nailed' it with either one :).

I'm sure I've heard of people doing this before, but I don't think its a good idea unless you're absolutely certain that every other aspect your track(s) is spot-on to the listing requirements other than the arrangement. If not, they'll both be returned and you'll probably learn nothing extra for the additional $5. Lo-fi hip hop is a fairly popular request, so another listing for it will come around before long, so unless you're absolutely desperate to get a forward for this particular listing, I'd say submit just the one version that you think works best (and it sounds like you've already decided that). OTOH, if you won't miss $5 then there's no harm in it.
I am completely hedging my bets :D. And decided to submit two edits.

I'm very happy with how the track(s) have come out but it was the arrangement which was my only real question. I feel like this could be a good experiment to learn how to read the listings. If they do both get returned then I've not learned much, like you say. But if just one makes it through then I think it'll be a good indicator for me.

We'll see. I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks for the replies. Both were definitely helpful.

alywat

Post by alywat » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Whoa, I've never thought about doing that before... submitting more than one version of the same track to one listing? In my humble opinion, once in a while I think it would be good to do if we don't mind forking over another $5. But ya never know... There will be that one time where it will turn out one of the versions will get though! But there's also possibility that neither one will, and the "return sting" will be twofold. Or threefold, depending.

But it's kind of a gamble that I think could pay off if done carefully. Sometimes we need to take the chances. Weigh which thing would be heavier on your heart, the disappointment of neither version getting through the screening or the regret of not trying out the other edit and never knowing. Both aren't easy to deal with, at all... but it may be a matter of which thing a person can deal with better.

Do let us know how it went! I'm interested to see what happens here. :)
"Hold on to your dreams... The future is built on dreams." - Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime ♥️

Alyssa E. Watts
Website
SoundCloud
YouTube
TAXI Profile

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:30 am

I have done that in the past with two different instruments for the lead but don't do it any more. Yes Lo-Fi is very repetitive sometimes just an A section so it is very tricky not to fall into the "too repetitive" circle....and yes very popular right now and pretty easy to come up with something.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:45 am

Crikey...no I would NEVER submit two slightly altered version of the same cue to the same Listing. Just give it your best shot with one submission