I'm confused about a review

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

paulkearnsmusic

I'm confused about a review

Post by paulkearnsmusic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:42 am

I joined here to learn how to make better music but I'm confused (and, if I'm honest) a little upset.

I submitted a composition a few weeks ago which was returned because it was not a good enough fit for the request.

On that critique, "I love the sounds and production quality" was in the "What I liked" box.

A few weeks later, an opportunity came up that I thought this composition might be a better fit for.

On that critique "The sounds used sound dated and of low quality" and "it's not of broadcast quality".

Perhaps your listeners need to take this up with Spitfire Audio, East West, Vienna Symphonic & Steinberg" who's sample libraries I used (the latest versions). I can't see how I can improve on the market leaders - all of which were downloaded this year!!

I don't mind if I'm off target, the music is rubbish or the production is off - this is the information I need to learn from.
But this!!!

Well, I'm confused by getting such massive difference in critiques on the same bit of music!!
In the second critique, it's suggested that I use the "staccato strings" to replace the "pizzicato strings" - but they ARE staccato (or that's what East West call them)!!

What an I supposed to "learn" from them??

One of them was a waste of $5.

I don't want to reference the track or pitches because I don't want to cause any upset and, frankly, I don't have the confidence to at this point.
I'm just very, very disappointed and, more than anything, I'm confused and just feel like giving up (I won't - I just feel deflated - I'll bounce back - it's the job ;) )

I thought long and hard about joining Taxi and I'm a relative newcomer (October 20) - this has taken the wind right out of my sails.
Maybe at my age (I'm 67) I'm just being stupid thinking I can ever be good enough to do this!

I don't expect to get placements without setbacks and I know music is subjective - but production and sounds aren't.
I've enjoyed getting feedback and have (or so I thought) made good progress - but this has destroyed all the trust I felt when getting reviews.

I'd be interested in any comments or suggestions anyone might have.
This must have come up before.

Cheers
Paul

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I'm confused about a review

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:11 am

One possible explanation is that the first listing was more of a hybrid, whereas the second had a more orchestral focus. Perhaps the first screener was more interested in the overall texture, whereas the second was an orchestral pedant. I'm only guessing, but if they think the track fits it'll get forwarded, and if it doesn't fit there has to be some reason even if its not easy to explain. Whatever the explanation though, don't take it to heart. Its just an opinion. Based on the first review you're doing a great job. I'd say learn what you can then forget about it and move on, but don't let it discourage you at all. There's plenty more wind to fill your sails. Make more music and enjoy it!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.