Upbeat indie folk/americana inst cue

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Upbeat indie folk/americana inst cue

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi people, if you have a minute let me know what you think of this cue. TIA.

https://soundcloud.com/ken-vis/winkofan ... cue_master

https://www.taxi.com/listings/S210328AM
Ken

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Upbeat indie folk/americana inst cue

Post by BradGray » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 am

Hey Ken,

It's a nice piece of music, and good playing, but I'm not sure it's close enough to the references. Sounds a bit more like traditional folk, than the "indy/americana folk" then what they posted. It was one I worked on quite a bit too, and really had to work with the references on this one to even get into the ballpark. One of the elements that stood out to me was the stomp, clap, stomp, clap sound of a couple of the references. Also, listen to their production sounds, reverb, space, etc, when trying to build such a track. The other part I struggled with on the arrangement was literally too many chord changes. Some of those reference were very simple 3 chord pieces, and I had to stop myself a few times and dial the changes back to get in that "sound and feel" ballpark.

Hope that helps. Either way absolutely good effort and keep going!
Bee

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 am

BradGray wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 am
Hey Ken,

It's a nice piece of music, and good playing, but I'm not sure it's close enough to the references. Sounds a bit more like traditional folk, than the "indy/americana folk" then what they posted. It was one I worked on quite a bit too, and really had to work with the references on this one to even get into the ballpark. One of the elements that stood out to me was the stomp, clap, stomp, clap sound of a couple of the references. Also, listen to their production sounds, reverb, space, etc, when trying to build such a track. The other part I struggled with on the arrangement was literally too many chord changes. Some of those reference were very simple 3 chord pieces, and I had to stop myself a few times and dial the changes back to get in that "sound and feel" ballpark.

Bee
Thanks. I listened to your piece and it definitely sounded more like the Lumineers song. I need to study the references more closely. There are so many genres now, sometimes I'm not sure what the differences are. I'll keep trying.
Ken

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:00 am

KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 am
BradGray wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 am
Hey Ken,

Bee
Thanks. I listened to your piece and it definitely sounded more like the Lumineers song. I need to study the references more closely. There are so many genres now, sometimes I'm not sure what the differences are. I'll keep trying.
Thanks and indeed; it's part of the learning process. That one in particular I had to go back several times and re-arrange, as I had too many chord changes happening as compared to the reference. For your next listing, it's worth taking the time to break down the tempo, structure (when sections change), arrangement (how to instruments get added/removed), mood and sound.

For the record, I'm still a novice at all of the above too. The biggest thing for me was to not take any of the returns personally, and distance myself from what I've created so I can look at it more objectively.

Happy Monday!
Brad

erynmichel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erynmichel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:18 am

Fun track, Ken. I agree with Brad. I hear just a couple timing and tuning issues that could use tightening up, but I enjoyed this a lot.

If you have oodles of spare time :D I'd consider revisiting it in a minor key or dirtying it up a little for the Gothic Americana listing.

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:30 am

erynmichel wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:18 am
Fun track, Ken. I agree with Brad. I hear just a couple timing and tuning issues that could use tightening up, but I enjoyed this a lot.

If you have oodles of spare time :D I'd consider revisiting it in a minor key or dirtying it up a little for the Gothic Americana listing.
Thanks, I appreciate the kind feedback. Time is not on my side so much right now. I do most of my writing in the morning while my wife is still sleeping (headphones). This is a song I wrote a few years ago and I have words to it, but because of my voice, I am focusing on instrumentals. I got most of this recorded Saturday morning in about 2 hours using a relatively new microphone and realized I had phasing issues and had to rerecord the guitar. I had been spending most of my time writing with MIDI instruments because that's what listings had been for, and now a bit rusty on the guitar. I'm probably in the same situation as most here, a full time job and family things to deal with.
Ken