What would you do? - alt rock listing

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

todddunnigan
Active
Active

What would you do? - alt rock listing

Post by todddunnigan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:43 pm

Recently got a return from a listing looking for 90s songs that were recorded in the 90s.

From the listing:
"They can ONLY use AUTHENTIC, ORIGINAL, VINTAGE RECORDINGS, and only if the sound quality is reasonably good. It doesn't have to be super hi-fi, but reasonably good, well-balanced recordings and mixes are needed. The recording quality is not expected to be on par with today’s Broadcast Quality! Good demos and master recordings are all of interest to this company!"

From the screener:
"A better mix, in regard to the levels of instrumentation would have benefited this recording. This song is strong, but typically the decision makers seek songs that sound like they may have been on the radio in the era."

So which is it? Did they want good demos like the listing said? Or radio quality like the screener said?

So the question is, what would make a "better" mix? more guitar? less guitar? more or less drums? different overall eq? If the guitar tone isn't to taste with the screeners taste, does that make this mix "less good"?
https://www.taxi.com/members/hvEsmMqtRQ ... ttle-crazy

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Re: What would you do? - alt rock listing

Post by johnnyrowing » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:26 am

todddunnigan wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:43 pm
Recently got a return from a listing looking for 90s songs that were recorded in the 90s.

From the listing:
"They can ONLY use AUTHENTIC, ORIGINAL, VINTAGE RECORDINGS, and only if the sound quality is reasonably good. It doesn't have to be super hi-fi, but reasonably good, well-balanced recordings and mixes are needed. The recording quality is not expected to be on par with today’s Broadcast Quality! Good demos and master recordings are all of interest to this company!"

From the screener:
"A better mix, in regard to the levels of instrumentation would have benefited this recording. This song is strong, but typically the decision makers seek songs that sound like they may have been on the radio in the era."

So which is it? Did they want good demos like the listing said? Or radio quality like the screener said?

So the question is, what would make a "better" mix? more guitar? less guitar? more or less drums? different overall eq? If the guitar tone isn't to taste with the screeners taste, does that make this mix "less good"?
https://www.taxi.com/members/hvEsmMqtRQ ... ttle-crazy

Todd,
I am wondering if the 2nd comment from the listener is "not" related to the first. Comment 1 is clearly about the mix. Comment 2 might be about not being "broadcast quality" for that era. However, it is possible that comment 2 is about the song itself not being "era appropriate". I wonder if the "What I liked about this submission . . . " or the "checkboxes" would help to clarify the emphasis of the listener's comment?

Just a possible perspective to consider . . .

Also, you could send a polite email to the head screener at Taxi and ask for clarification and/or a 2nd opinion. I did this about a month ago and learned some really valuable things about the submission process that I didn't know.