"Anthemic-izing" Costa Rica national anthem

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

"Anthemic-izing" Costa Rica national anthem

Post by irthlingz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:56 am

Of all our submissions, this has gotten the most positive response. This was back in early March.
Folks on the forum thought it could get a forward. Orchestration was marimba, tuba, flute, drums/cymbal, strings, and a touch of tubular bells towards the end.

The screener said it was "good" and "close" but:
"... perhaps a little too stripped down. I think this needs more layers of orchestration to get the full "Anthemic" and fanfare experience ... needs more orchestration and more build throughout."

Now the identical listing has come back again, so we're thinking of improving and resubmitting.

So far have just added some trumpet starting at around 1:26 and getting louder up to the end.

Any other suggestions?

https://irthlingz.com/costa_rica11.html

Due Monday, April 26th, 2021. TAXI # S210426NA

===
Thanks!
Sharon and Michael

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: "Anthemic-izing" Costa Rica national anthem

Post by Zaychi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:06 pm

I'd specifically look at the first 20 seconds, they sound (tbh) quantzied and poor now, especially compared to when it gets going. Maybe leave them out alltogether? Or else, make it fuller. The marimba isn't the thing to play these loose notes on I guess?

DrDanny

Post by DrDanny » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:00 pm

Hello Sharon and Michael,

Thanks for sharing your song for a review, I enjoyed listening to it and the chance to hear an anthem I had never heard before. I have some comments on orchestration for what they are worth. I read this requisition myself when it was posted and my mind couldn't think of something creative enough to respond, so it's great that you are attempting this.

Here is a reference track I listened to which might help explain what I am about to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU-THIQCHNY.

When I thought about your "orchestration" comment before I even listened to your song, I thought strings, long notes, and a full sound. Please don't confuse orchestration with instrumentation, your instrumentation is perhaps fine. But you need longer notes and expressions on the notes. Hear how in the example there is a slight emphasis on the note and then the expression drops the dynamic (the sound level) but does not stop the note short. It sounds like you are asking the reverb to compensate for creating longer notes. The example I posted sounds like a light-bouncy march which to me is a good way to play any anthem. I mentally picture marching soldiers or sports teams walking out on the field waving to the crowd.

I also agree with the other reviewer - your quantization is too rigid and makes it sound stiff which the requisition specifically asks not to do. My DAW has a feature to add random quantization - you may want to look up in your manual if your DAW has that (unless you already know of course) and apply it slightly. You can also do another trick to layer more instruments with a very small delay effect and perhaps add some stereo width. If you are familiar with a spectrum analyzer, see that you are getting enough depth and character in the graph as the song plays. Don't necessarily change the EQ, if you need more low end and want more instruments, perhaps add a trombone or boomy bass drum. If you need more high end, more flute or bells. But you might have enough instruments as is if you use your arsenal a little more. Let the orchestration of making the sound full drive your instrumentation and in areas that sound thin either add longer notes or instruments for better fill up the frequency spectrum.

I hope to make it to Costa Rica some day, lots of friends and family say it's a great place to visit.

Hope that helps, good luck,

Danny

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm

Thank you, @Zaychi and @DrDanny.

We are working on your suggestions now.

This forum is amazing!

===========
Sharon & Michael