Stealth Action (mixed and mastered)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Stealth Action (mixed and mastered)

Post by johndalenow » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Last edited by johndalenow on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Stealth Action (mixed and mastered)

Post by Ted » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:40 am

Sounds better than the earlier version, which sounded pretty flat and disjointed, compositionally to me. This is more coherent.

Some of the synth patches (like the stabs at :04 seconds) are maybe still on the "dated" sounding side, but maybe I'm wrong. Not sure.

From about 2:24 on, some of the melodic elements seem to be fighting for air in the mix. I'm thinking the drums need to hit harder in low frequencies too. Maybe some extra attention to the mix in the final movement-- some automation could help.

I tried watching the reference trailers but honestly couldn't sit through the overload of hamfisted tropes on steroids. So I have no idea how close you are getting to the ballpark overall.

Cheers

Ted

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 pm

Ted wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:40 am
Sounds better than the earlier version, which sounded pretty flat and disjointed, compositionally to me. This is more coherent.

Some of the synth patches (like the stabs at :04 seconds) are maybe still on the "dated" sounding side, but maybe I'm wrong. Not sure.

From about 2:24 on, some of the melodic elements seem to be fighting for air in the mix. I'm thinking the drums need to hit harder in low frequencies too. Maybe some extra attention to the mix in the final movement-- some automation could help.

I tried watching the reference trailers but honestly couldn't sit through the overload of hamfisted tropes on steroids. So I have no idea how close you are getting to the ballpark overall.

Cheers

Ted
Thanks for your response, Ted. Since I used "Serum" as my synth source, and it's consider to be both impressive and modern, could you be more specific about what you mean when you say "dated?" I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

John

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 pm

JDM wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 pm
could you be more specific about what you mean when you say "dated?"
Please let me offer my impression of the stabs in the first act: naked sawtooth waves (what this sounds like to me) have been a thing since the earliest days of synths, and this one takes me right to the Prophet-5 that turned me onto electronic music back in '82. Some 'dressing up' might be in order, like a creative (formant) filter, a little (more) reverb, some delays to make it sound like it's in a bigger space, etc., etc. Studio tricks that can elevate the sounds.

edit: and I definitely hear a bit of Herbie Hancock's Rockit (1983, btw) in the middle of all this. So maybe the sounds, the funky lines, and the 'spy' vibe (all intentional, obviously by the title!) conspire to date the piece. Hope that helps!

edit 2: I just finished re-watching ​Using Rises, Drops, Braams, and Found Sounds in Trailers, Instrumentals, and Cues with Randon Purcell from the Road Rally videos, and discovered he's giving tips and tricks on how he uses the Serum library. He has some good techniques for bending the sounds to his will.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:45 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 pm
JDM wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 pm
could you be more specific about what you mean when you say "dated?"
Please let me offer my impression of the stabs in the first act: naked sawtooth waves (what this sounds like to me) have been a thing since the earliest days of synths, and this one takes me right to the Prophet-5 that turned me onto electronic music back in '82. Some 'dressing up' might be in order, like a creative (formant) filter, a little (more) reverb, some delays to make it sound like it's in a bigger space, etc., etc. Studio tricks that can elevate the sounds.

edit: and I definitely hear a bit of Herbie Hancock's Rockit (1983, btw) in the middle of all this. So maybe the sounds, the funky lines, and the 'spy' vibe (all intentional, obviously by the title!) conspire to date the piece. Hope that helps!

edit 2: I just finished re-watching ​Using Rises, Drops, Braams, and Found Sounds in Trailers, Instrumentals, and Cues with Randon Purcell from the Road Rally videos, and discovered he's giving tips and tricks on how he uses the Serum library. He has some good techniques for bending the sounds to his will.
All great points. Thank you Brother Alan. Best!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:56 am

Ted wrote:
I have no idea how close you are getting to the ballpark overall.
" Not very " is the answer to that one I'm afraid. It sounds very far wide of the mark in terms of composition , orchestration , sound design, mixing and mastering.

I've had placements on TV with trailer style tracks where the bar is not as high as actual cinematic trailers. I know which Library got the Falcon & the Winter Soldier placement and they only work with the best of the best ( not me ). You are so far away from what's needed I'm not really sure what to suggest except maybe spending a few months doing some educational courses to learn how all this stuff works if it's something you want to get into.

Mark

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:56 am
Ted wrote:
I have no idea how close you are getting to the ballpark overall.
" Not very " is the answer to that one I'm afraid. It sounds very far wide of the mark in terms of composition , orchestration , sound design, mixing and mastering.

I've had placements on TV with trailer style tracks where the bar is not as high as actual cinematic trailers. I know which Library got the Falcon & the Winter Soldier placement and they only work with the best of the best ( not me ). You are so far away from what's needed I'm not really sure what to suggest except maybe spending a few months doing some educational courses to learn how all this stuff works if it's something you want to get into.

Mark
Mark,

I had some other suggestions made by requesting a custom critique. I've changed the entire track quite a bit. Enclosed is the new link. Curious to hear your reaction, as I value your expertise and experience. I have lots to learn and I'd like to know if you hear a noticeable improvement and where I should focus at this point.

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... VO4gIcr45e

Best!

John Dale

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:32 am

Hi John, sorry but I don't recall what the original sounded like now.

I still don't think this would be accepted by any of the LIbraries I work with as an Action trailer cue - even the arpeggio synth sound that comes in around 2-3 seconds into the track is out of context for the genre.

I recommend following some of the tutorials on Youtube so you can get a handle on it - just type " how to write trailer music " into the Youtube search...there are some really good ones for free to get you started.

Mark