copyright for cues?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dognpony

copyright for cues?

Post by dognpony » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:55 pm

Should we copyright instrumental cues, trailers, etc before submitting to libraries? I would be afraid that libraries would just go ahead and use someone's submitted tracks and not bother to contract with the writer. Because infringement cases for these types of music uses are such low monetary damage amounts, maybe some libraries would assume the writer would not have enough in damages to sue. Maybe they could just steal the track and not contract with the writer? So...copyright or not? Any thoughts on this...?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: copyright for cues?

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Did you try searching the forums? The answer to many common questions is there somewhere and can be found without too much digging.
There have been many questions regarding copyright, for example .........

copywrite-t130033.html
copywrite-question-t128721.html
copywrite-t33637.html
copyright-information-t2327.html

I hope these help.

However, consider a library deliberately 'stealing' a track without a contract with the writer. If that was discovered then the library could lose all credibility with writers or TV shows. None of them could afford that to happen, and legitimate libraries (particularly the ones vetted by TAXI) would hardly want to risk being that unprofessional.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:06 am

My thoughts are this :-

1. I own the copyright as soon as I put the music down in tangible form.

2. If you are talking about registering the copyright that is an option in some countries but we seem to get along fine without it in the UK

3. For cues I've seen many an experienced US writer say they don't even bother as it's not worth the cost / hassle for something they can knock out another of in a day. I.e. don't sweat the small stuff

4. If you were familiar with the ingestion process of a music library you may know there's a lot to be done. Alt Mixes - Stems - Track Descriptions - Metadata, not to mention that typically need 48k Wav/AIFF files from you to upload to their Source Audio site or whichever platform they use. Then they have to register it with their PRO so they can claim the publishing and get paid their share and you can get your writers share. So I doubt they will shortcut that process and offer their customers a lower quality MP3 to edit into their TV shows with no Alt Mixes available.

5. Libraries are legitimate businesses that live and die on their reputation , why would they risk all that for some music that they already get for " free " ? How does it benefit them ?

Mark

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 am

I've never bothered and I don't know anyone else of the dozens of composers I know who bother with it. Never heard of anyone being swindled by a publisher for a mp3 file of an instrumental cue. If someone wants free music there are easy legit ways of obtaining it without risking your reputation. And if you're signing exclusive deals I think it some cases it could even be a hindrance for the publisher. That said, I'm not a lawyer!

dognpony

Post by dognpony » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:46 pm

OK, thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.