Song instrument sounds (Suggestion)

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Song instrument sounds (Suggestion)

Post by BradGray » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:50 am

Hey Taxi Review Station Passengers!

Just a suggestion with regards to the following checkbox on reviews - "Song instrument sounds or samples sound dated or of a lower quality". I feel that this checkbox, needs more definition. I've seen others comment on this over the past year, that have also been frustrated by this checkbox.

When it actually applies to midi or sound samples that are being used in a piece, that sound dated - makes sense.
When it's being checked as a default because the reviewer does not like the sounds recorded, or presented - frustrating.

I had this boxed checked off with regards to a return. While they were spot on with the feedback, which I'm 99% content with, that one checkbox did not make any sense as no sound libraries or midi were used in the recording. I've had this situation checked off in the past.

Perhaps the solution would be to add in some additional details to "check off" under the Recording/Production category in the reviews, to help people refine their mistake in this category. I.E. By instrument category (just an idea). As it stands, I can only make assumptions that they did not like a couple of the sounds in either the guitar or bass, but that's just an assumption. Without clarity, the perception of the feedback is that they did not like the way my acoustic guitars sounded...but that's just guessing.

My thought for a Wednesday!
Brad

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Song instrument sounds (Suggestion)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:27 am

BradGray wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:50 am
with, that one checkbox did not make any sense as no sound libraries or midi were used in the recording. I've had this situation checked off in the past.
It says " Song Instrument sounds " which can equally apply to a live recording as sample Library. A crappy player playing a crappy part with a crappy instrument into a crappy mic will sound.....well...crappy. :shock:

This can be applied to any instrument you can stick a mic in front of..live recordings can sound just as bad as any cheap sample library if not done with some skill.

I agree though it might be nice to have some sort of qualifying statement after the checkbox ..i.e " Piano out of tune ".." Guitar sound dull / boxy " ....that type of thing

Mark

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:27 am
BradGray wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:50 am
with, that one checkbox did not make any sense as no sound libraries or midi were used in the recording. I've had this situation checked off in the past.
It says " Song Instrument sounds " which can equally apply to a live recording as sample Library. A crappy player playing a crappy part with a crappy instrument into a crappy mic will sound.....well...crappy. :shock:

This can be applied to any instrument you can stick a mic in front of..live recordings can sound just as bad as any cheap sample library if not done with some skill.

I agree though it might be nice to have some sort of qualifying statement after the checkbox ..i.e " Piano out of tune ".." Guitar sound dull / boxy " ....that type of thing

Mark
Your note above was likely a better way to describe my suggestion; a few additional boxes to point to what is specifically wrong, than a broad category. In that way people (such as me =) ) could focus on elements that were off.

But I agree, a crappy recording will sound....crappy. Mic placement and instrument quality + playing will lead to the final outcome. It may be misinterpreted as poor quality samples. But a little extra clarity in the review (without trying to create extra work for screeners) is desired.

Thanks!
Brad

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm

I just had a submission returned with that box checked. However, I didn't have any midi instruments on my submission. I just had vocals, bass guitar and acoustic guitar.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 pm

Stubee wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:06 pm
I just had a submission returned with that box checked. However, I didn't have any midi instruments on my submission. I just had vocals, bass guitar and acoustic guitar.
Like I said..you can still record live instruments badly

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 pm

https://soundcloud.com/stuthaler/walkin ... -back-home

Maybe the mix could have been better but Judge for yourself.