Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Re-imagined California Dreamin' listens

Post by Susanstunes » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:26 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 am
I like the general vibe - First thing I noticed was some of the vocals are pitchy and certain words/notes are unsupported so they sound wobbly

For me the thing it needs most us upping the vocal production - Comping multiple takes to get it more consistent - going through with a fine tooth comb to tweak for timing and pitch - then a better vocal mix as mentioned by the others.

I think if you can nail it and get every part as good as the best parts you'll have a winner

Mark
100% in agreement Mark. I am going through and comping vocals and absolutely hear all of those issues. I know this will make or break it!
Thanks for everything.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:07 am

A mixed bag of comments from here:
- Look again at the solo (clarinet?). I think it sounds too MIDI, specifically on the long notes; and it is too loud in the mix as well
- You might even take more liberties on the timing than you're already doing. Jazz singers tend to be all over the place timing-wise, you are still very keen on coloring inside the lines (even though you're clearly trying to get it more in that direction... throw of the yoke! If it doesn't work, it is very easy to press delete...
- This may be very personal, still going to say it: be sparser with the vibrato on the long/ending notes. A few times is fine of course, but pick them; when you're doing it every sentence, it gets old before the song ends.
- Vocal production is required like the others said.

You have a beautiful voice, and it surely is an original view on the song, best of luck with it!

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:42 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:07 am
A mixed bag of comments from here:
- Look again at the solo (clarinet?). I think it sounds too MIDI, specifically on the long notes; and it is too loud in the mix as well
- You might even take more liberties on the timing than you're already doing. Jazz singers tend to be all over the place timing-wise, you are still very keen on coloring inside the lines (even though you're clearly trying to get it more in that direction... throw of the yoke! If it doesn't work, it is very easy to press delete...
- This may be very personal, still going to say it: be sparser with the vibrato on the long/ending notes. A few times is fine of course, but pick them; when you're doing it every sentence, it gets old before the song ends.
- Vocal production is required like the others said.

You have a beautiful voice, and it surely is an original view on the song, best of luck with it!
Hey Zachi,
I sure appreciate your comments. Mostly I completely agree. The listing closed yesterday and I spent the day re-working it to what I think is a considerably improved file....so, there it is. Done for now.
But I want to thank you for your compliment- it means alot.
Susan

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm

The latest mix of this sounds really good - good luck with its future success.
Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:45 pm

Hello!
Beautiful version! Although this song is more like a stripped-down version than A hard day's night version, your singing reminded me to Goldie Hawn's intimacy and closeness of your voice to my ears!

Great work! Luck with your submission!

Regards!
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Stubee » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:23 pm

Great performance. The only thing that I noticed that could be an issue is that the vocals are fighting for the same frequencies as some of the other instruments.
You might want to get the instruments out of the vocal frequency range and make sure that the 500hz-1khz range frequencies for the vocals are lowered a few abs.