PRO outside of USA?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

OwenGrech
Active
Active

Re: PRO outside of USA?

Post by OwenGrech » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 am

Kolstad wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:28 am
OwenGrech wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:48 am
Kolstad wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:29 pm
I really dont think it is neccesary to double register with American PROs as a European. PROs work together on a global scale, and have everything set up. For example, Im with KODA in Denmark, and they work with ASCAP in the US. So if I sign anything with an American publisher, the American publisher can register the work online with KODA in english, or they can just register it with ASCAP in the US, which then coordinates with KODA.

Some have made the claim that backend pays out faster, if you double register, but I can’t confirm this. In this digital age, data really doesn’t move slower because of national borders.
Thank you so much for your reply Kolstad. I wasn't thinking of double registering to be honest but rather do one registration with an American PRO instead of a European one but you brought up an interesting point re the backend cause if that causes the cheques to be relatively in time then it might make more sense to register locally.

Rgds,
Owen
You may want to reconsider that, as you probably would like to apply the laws from the country where you live. If you register in the US only, and publish your work there first, you need to register your works at the US copyright office and use american lawyers, if anything comes up. Not saying it would be a problem, but it can get complicated and very expensive for you, if you at some point need legal advice or representation.

Depending on your country of residence, I actually think it's a lot better to use your local PRO. As noted, everything is set up to work internationally with the PRO's.
Thanks again Kolstad! I had not even thought about the legal situation but that is definitely a headache I would want to avoid!
I think I better check with my local PRO first then.

Thanks again

owen
Slowly but surely ;)