Modern Country S210427MC

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

timwedits

Modern Country S210427MC

Post by timwedits » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 pm

Just barely got this one finished and uploaded under the deadline.

https://soundcloud.com/wilsbach/on-the-moon

I know it's not as perfectly produced and mixed as some of the other stuff I hear...and certainly a liability for such a high bar listing. Maybe it would be better to just record a clean vocal, acoustic and beat, IDK? Either way, I'm getting better every time...and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Not to mention that honestly just getting these done, uploaded and in front of someone else's ears is beneficial for me to continue learning.

I welcome any constructive feedback on song, production or both.

Here's the listing.

MODERN COUNTRY SONGS with POP CROSSOVER Appeal and Male Vocals are needed by a great Music Row Publisher for a CMA Award-winning Country Artist working on his upcoming record.

This Publisher is currently looking for top-notch Songs in All Tempos that could be heard on the same playlist as the following references:

"You Got Away With It" by Brett Young
"Diamonds" by Morgan Evans
"Polaroid" by Keith Urban

jessecarrigan
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Modern Country S210427MC

Post by jessecarrigan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 am

Caveats that I'm not an expert in this genre, etc. apply, but here are some thoughts.

I think there's a good idea here. The lyrics have imagery that holds together overall. Your vocal sounds good and the acoustic parts are nice. There's some creative track interest stuff that I like, for example the countdown.

I notice in the references that a lot of them have a rhythm that's less traditional country and more pop. You can hear some of the references are using obvious drum machine type sounds instead of the traditional kit as well. I also hear in the references that there is more varied instrumentation; not just acoustic guitar, but I believe they all have electric parts as well. One thing that I feel is maybe lacking is the build of energy between the verse and chorus. They're kind of at the same energy level and the references have a clear difference in the energy level between the sections of the song. I think that could be stronger.

From a recording standpoint, I think you're right that a clean take on the vocals and guitar would be good. Check out some more pop drum sounds and see if you can put together a rhythm track that matches the references. Are you playing this rhythm live or with e.g. Addictive Drums, or is it coming from loops? I would also add some subtle pitch correction to the vocals to keep them tight. I think the countdown runs over the next line of the chorus a bit so it should be balanced better if you want to keep that in. Also, you have a full minute of silence at the end of your track bounce, which you'll want to remove.

Hope that feedback helps!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 pm

I didn't listen as deep as Jesse did, mostly I just enjoyed the journey! The talent is there, the song simply needs some production ears and elbow grease. The stuff you learn by being on a forum like this ;)

If the instrumental parts backed off a little when the vocal enters in the verse, there'd be a better opportunity for the listener to get the lyrics without competition; plus there'd be room for the song to build back into the chorus. That's really the only structural thing I felt could be improved. Nice work!

timwedits

Post by timwedits » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:32 am

Thanks for your feedback guys, it's appreciated.
jessecarrigan wrote:some of the references are using obvious drum machine type sounds instead of the traditional kit as well. I also hear in the references that there is more varied instrumentation; not just acoustic guitar//One thing that I feel is maybe lacking is the build of energy between the verse and chorus. They're kind of at the same energy level//I think that could be stronger.
Jesse you're right on with this...In this mix the drums are pretty buried. It actually does start with a drum machine loop and then the physical kit kicks in in the chorus I've carved that out a little better in a preceding mix, but yeah...something to keep working on for sure.
AlanHall wrote:If the instrumental parts backed off a little when the vocal enters in the verse, there'd be a better opportunity for the listener to get the lyrics without competition; plus there'd be room for the song to build back into the chorus.
You're right, not a lot of automation in this mix, can definitely work on that too...thanks for the tip