Making the most out of the critique

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Making the most out of the critique

Post by OwenGrech » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

Recently I posted about my first track being forwarded but now it's time for my first return :)

I want to make sure I understand the screener's feedback completely so that I can improve next time, therefore I thought I'll come in here and get your experienced opinion.

The Listing

SYNTHWAVE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful Music Licensing Company with a fast-growing list of placements and clients.

This Company is on the hunt for Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

"Kids" by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein

"Neo-Tokyo (Instrumental)" by Scandroid

"Los Angeles (Instrumental)" by The Midnight

Please submit top-notch Synthwave Instrumental Cues with buzzy, '80s-inspired synths and solid rhythms. Craft your Cues around a singular mood and motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that your production and all virtual instruments and samples you use are fresh and high-quality.

TAXI Tip: '80s-inspired does NOT mean that your submissions should sound like they could've come straight off of a Rick Astley record. Combine '80s-influenced sounds with modern production techniques. Listen to the references to get a better idea of what we mean!

Your submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer's share and Master rights and the Library will get 100% of the Publisher’s share for any placements they generate. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, April 25th, 2021. TAXI # S210425SY
TAXI # S210425SY

Screener's Feedback

What I like most about this song

I like the synth sounds, the energy, the ideas and the overall mix. Nice job with the production aspect.

I think you could improve this song by

This needs more variation, more thematic development, less repetition and a more composed ending.

I returned or forwarded this song because

This is too repetitive and needs more composition, more of an arrangement and more build going into a more composed ending.

and here is my track

Thanks to this forum and TaxiTv I learned what a development arc is and I did layer different sounds but listening back I think I put those new sounds too low in the mix so maybe I needed to make them more present. What do you think?

Does a more composed ending mean more buildup before the ending? (again maybe it should sound more obvious that the track is about to end?)

It would be much appreciated to have your feedback and ideas about what I should do next time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post

rgds

owen

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Making the most out of the critique

Post by OwenGrech » Sun May 02, 2021 9:29 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:57 pm
OwenGrech wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:50 pm
Hey Owen

Yes, I think 0:00-0:39 and 1:12-end are way too static/repetitive. Indeed, there are little changes but they are buried or not significant enough to make a difference. But it should not be too difficult to get it there. Cool track!

Tom
Hey Tom,

Thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement!
Yeah listening back to it now what you and the screener described makes a lot of sense - I was too shy with the changes it seems :)
Taxi's feedback and this forum have been really valuable in this short time I've been around. Looking fwd to improve - thanks again man