General Feedback Please! I'm learning the ropes.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Re: General Feedback Please! I'm learning the ropes.

Post by Horacemix » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:07 am

MichelleLane wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:30 am
Hey everyone!

I'm new to Taxi and would love any and all feedback on this piece I just finished. I didn't write it for a specific listing, this was for my own learning purposes. I was trying to hit the genre "Indie Rock," but I think it morphed into another style of rock. I'm not sure.

Can you guys give me general feedback on things like:
What genre/sub-genre you think it is
What mood it evokes
Whether this is a viable piece for use in TV/Film/Ads, etc.
Production quality
Or whatever the heck you see/hear/wanna say!

Literally, anything that strikes you. I'm all ears. Don't mince words, I'm a big girl and I will only cry a little bit if you tell me it sucks. Haha! Seriously, I'm very used to critique and am completely able to set my ego aside. I'm here to learn! Hopefully the SoundCloud link below will work. Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

- Michelle

https://soundcloud.com/michellelanemusic/rough-tumble
Hello Michelle!

You have an excellent number with this song! Personally, I'm not good with genres so I can't assure you that this is a fit for "indie rock" but it's rock and I'm sure it will work for other listings to come too.
In my experience (which is not a lot of experience) pre-composed tracks are rarely forwarded but this song of yours could be an exception.
I hope other forum members can give you better feedback, but for me, you have what's needed to succeed on TAXI! I mean, great musicianship, solid sound and arrangements, etc.

Cheers and good luck!
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Tue May 04, 2021 2:06 am

Hi Michelle!

This sounds great to me. I don't really listen much to rock so I'm pretty clueless. I agree that it sounds more like swamp or 80s rock than indie rock to me, but again I'm fairly clueless. Anyway, I think it sounds very musical and the mix sounds pretty good to me! If I produced indie rock myself, I'd probably aim for a little bit more "produced" sounding drums and maybe turn down the guitars in the mix a little. I've produced some indie guitar pop and I've kind of prioritized vocals and drums + bass over guitars in the mix. Now this is instrumental, but that would mean drums/bass rhythm section slightly more emphasized than the guitars. As for guitar sound I'd also probably tone down the distortion a little focus more on the rhythm than the melodic riffs. But again, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to rock. But to my ears that would sound a little more current and a little more indie perhaps.

Still, whatever genre you did I think you did it well. Sounds great to my ears.

Perhaps just listen to some indie rock playlists on Spotify and write down notes – what kind of riffs are they playing, how is the mix balance (drums vs guitars vs keyboards etc), what drum sounds do they use etc. You can obviously produce really good sounding music, so it's just a matter of daring to do it differently I think :)

philipmojbro
Active
Active

Post by philipmojbro » Tue May 04, 2021 2:06 am

Hi Michelle!

This sounds great to me. I don't really listen much to rock so I'm pretty clueless. I agree that it sounds more like swamp or 80s rock than indie rock to me, but again I'm fairly clueless. Anyway, I think it sounds very musical and the mix sounds pretty good to me! If I produced indie rock myself, I'd probably aim for a little bit more "produced" sounding drums and maybe turn down the guitars in the mix a little. I've produced some indie guitar pop and I've kind of prioritized vocals and drums + bass over guitars in the mix. Now this is instrumental, but that would mean drums/bass rhythm section slightly more emphasized than the guitars. As for guitar sound I'd also probably tone down the distortion a little focus more on the rhythm than the melodic riffs. But again, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to rock. But to my ears that would sound a little more current and a little more indie perhaps.

Still, whatever genre you did I think you did it well. Sounds great to my ears.

Perhaps just listen to some indie rock playlists on Spotify and write down notes – what kind of riffs are they playing, how is the mix balance (drums vs guitars vs keyboards etc), what drum sounds do they use etc. You can obviously produce really good sounding music, so it's just a matter of daring to do it differently I think :)