Is this typical after a forward?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Is this typical after a forward?

Post by Casey H » Mon May 03, 2021 5:00 am

admin wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:26 pm
I'm out of the country at the moment, but have alerted Tom, our head of A&R. Please email him at Tom(at)TAXI(dot)com, and give him your name, the company name, etc., and he will get to the bottom of this. We've had a couple of cases over the years where a new listing company gives us all the info to check them out, but they don't mention that they ALSO have a royalty free site. When they got forwards, they contacted some members about working with the royalty free library we had not been informed about.

This could be one of those situations. Tom will figure it out while I enjoy my vacation :lol:

Best,
Michael
This is why I said contact Taxi before jumping to conclusions and ripping into them. :D
Have a great vacation, ML!! Hope all is well with you and your family! 8-)

Best,
:mrgreen: Casey

SeanieRanz

Post by SeanieRanz » Mon May 03, 2021 9:20 am

admin wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:26 pm
I'm out of the country at the moment, but have alerted Tom, our head of A&R. Please email him at Tom(at)TAXI(dot)com, and give him your name, the company name, etc., and he will get to the bottom of this. We've had a couple of cases over the years where a new listing company gives us all the info to check them out, but they don't mention that they ALSO have a royalty free site. When they got forwards, they contacted some members about working with the royalty free library we had not been informed about.

This could be one of those situations. Tom will figure it out while I enjoy my vacation :lol:

Best,
Michael
I just reached out to Tom. Thanks Mike!

tomattaxi

Post by tomattaxi » Mon May 03, 2021 3:35 pm

Hi Sean,

Thanks for reaching out. I just spoke to the client to confirm the situation on your behalf.

They do use PayPal instead of PROs to pay their artists for certain situations. This is because they work on a lot of corporate promotional videos, and wedding and graduation videos - the kinds of things that aren’t necessarily monitored by PROs because they are not broadcast publicly. Under this contract, you still get paid when your music gets used, even though the standard royalty channels aren't involved. The client also confirmed that, for situations where film / tv broadcast IS a factor, the PROs are indeed utilized.

The company is NOT a royalty free library. They offer both Exclusive and Non-exclusive deals, depending on the scenario. You’re right that there may not be a specific opportunity on the table just yet for your music, but that’s often how a music library works - they sign the material they are interested in, so when their clients come looking, they already have music ready to present.

Sean, judging from your post and my conversation with the client, I think they were indeed attempting to offer you a contract, and perhaps there was some miscommunication or confusion in terms of what was being offered to you. I’d recommend reaching out and speaking to your contact at the company further, assuming you are interested in signing a deal with them.

I hope it helps! Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of further assistance to you.

-Tom @ TAXI

SeanieRanz

Post by SeanieRanz » Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 pm

tomattaxi wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:35 pm
Hi Sean,

Thanks for reaching out. I just spoke to the client to confirm the situation on your behalf.

They do use PayPal instead of PROs to pay their artists for certain situations. This is because they work on a lot of corporate promotional videos, and wedding and graduation videos - the kinds of things that aren’t necessarily monitored by PROs because they are not broadcast publicly. Under this contract, you still get paid when your music gets used, even though the standard royalty channels aren't involved. The client also confirmed that, for situations where film / tv broadcast IS a factor, the PROs are indeed utilized.

The company is NOT a royalty free library. They offer both Exclusive and Non-exclusive deals, depending on the scenario. You’re right that there may not be a specific opportunity on the table just yet for your music, but that’s often how a music library works - they sign the material they are interested in, so when their clients come looking, they already have music ready to present.

Sean, judging from your post and my conversation with the client, I think they were indeed attempting to offer you a contract, and perhaps there was some miscommunication or confusion in terms of what was being offered to you. I’d recommend reaching out and speaking to your contact at the company further, assuming you are interested in signing a deal with them.

I hope it helps! Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of further assistance to you.

-Tom @ TAXI
Tom thank you for clearing all that up!

This issue was resolved. It was a misunderstanding on my part and I will proceed with signing a deal with them!

I appreciate all the responses!

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Mon May 03, 2021 6:17 pm

A happy ending. 😊

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue May 04, 2021 7:54 am