My first IDIE ALT production. Any good fits ya'll know of?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NateFitch

My first IDIE ALT production. Any good fits ya'll know of?

Post by NateFitch » Tue May 04, 2021 5:36 am

New to Taxi, Just wanted to see if ya'll know of a good listing for this tune. It's not quite done yet but nearly there. Any feedback, tweaks, whatever, to make it a better fit for anything you heard would be greatly appreciated. Song in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gehj2tn3gw3h2 ... h.mp3?dl=0

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My first IDIE ALT production. Any good fits ya'll know of?

Post by cassmcentee » Tue May 04, 2021 6:45 am

Hey Nate
Unfortunately recording a song and then trying to squeeze it into a listing usually doesn't work in this business...
I only listened to the first 60 seconds, felt like one long intro.
Generaly you need to be into the beat/rythmn/hook RIGHT AWAY
The vocal phrasing in this tune isn't what is current in Indie, faster Hip-Hop-ish phrasing is more the norm.
I would save this recording for yourself, find a listing that you think is in your wheelhouse and start another from scratch.
Cheers,
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue May 04, 2021 8:06 am

The best way to approach it is write for the Listings and not try to fit square pegs into round holes.

Your song doesn't sound very contemporary which is what they usually want so I would listen to some of the references and similar playlists of current music then try again

Mark

NateFitch

Post by NateFitch » Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks. We just joined so we don't have much yet. And we've heard the cliche of square peg in the round hole, we get it. So going forward we will do adaptive writing. Just wanted to see if anyone knew of anything. And I'll put the surprise that's in the song in the beginning i guess so it doesn't feel like a "long intro".

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue May 04, 2021 4:13 pm

I agree with all the previous comments.

Just a few comments on your track though in the spirit of trying to help you make the most of your Taxi ride. For sync, it certainly would help to get to the 'meat' of the track earlier. Everything is well played, the timing is good and the vocal is good too, but the drum sound is quite dark and plain. If you can pep up that drum sound it would help get you more into contemporary territory. Also, I feel conflicted all the way through the track because the guitar consistently plays minor chords yet the vocal often includes the major 3rd, and that sits awkwardly for me. Finally, even the small details are important, like not chopping off the final ring-out at the end. I've no doubt you'll sort all these things out though. Just keep doing it. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.