Pitching for Commissioned works projects (probably classical)

Got a gig? Looking to Gig? Post it up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

superblonde
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Pitching for Commissioned works projects (probably classical)

Post by superblonde » Thu May 06, 2021 12:06 am

I wonder if anyone here has suggestions for, or has attempted, writing & sending out pitch letters for commissioned works. This seems to be done in the classical (orchestral) "art music" genre. This pitching seems to be a sensitive topic with classical composers maybe because the winnings are scarce or nonexistent, competition tough, and musicians don't enjoy talking about money matters. The pitch is like writing a grant proposal to a non-profit organization or a funding patron or institution, with a quote for composer's fee, a performers' fee (depending on size of ensemble), timeframe of delivery, length of piece, etc.

I'm working on a draft proposal now to send to a regional arts council to suggest a 5 minute piece would benefit their .... artsy-ness.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Pitching for Commissioned works projects (probably classical)

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 10, 2021 12:57 am

Taxi probably isn't the right forum for this sort of question - You might have more success finding like minded folk over over at VI-Control forums.

superblonde
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Pitching for Commissioned works projects (probably classical)

Post by superblonde » Thu May 13, 2021 7:37 pm

Good call though biz is not commonly discussed there.

In a way it seems to be the reverse model of library pitching where the odds favor repeated attempts at many and frequent opportunities.

Probably I will hire a grant writer for consultation.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead