We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DexWilliams
Active
Active

Fresh Youthful Pop Instrumental... Another one

Post by DexWilliams » Sat May 08, 2021 7:26 am

Hi,

Any feedback on this track for the listing expiring today?... I wasn't sure I should add it to the other thread as this is a different track (Is that correct or do we tag multiple tracks under one topic for feedback?).

My Track

LISTING:

FRESH, YOUTHFUL POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for a new product's Advertising Campaign.

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Examples

Quoting the Library: "We’re looking for Pop Cues that sound fresh, bright, perky, lively, positive, and cool. We want music that will drive excitement for an advertising campaign, but no 'dancefloor fillers.'"

Please send well-produced Pop Instrumental Cues with fresh beats and lots of positive energy. Craft your Cues around one clear motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instruments in and out as they progress. Avoid submitting anything that has any prominent leads or melodies – stick with one catchy riff/motif. Your production should be slick and feature state-of-the-art virtual instruments and samples. If your submissions could get consumers excited about this new product, you could be onto something!

TAXI Tip: Although they're looking for youthful music, they do NOT want Cues that are childish. Think fun, fresh, and upbeat – not nursery rhymes!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Fresh Youthful Pop Instrumental... Another one

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat May 08, 2021 8:27 am

I'm afraid this sounds terribly dated to me.

The sounds are very "midi " like to me when the listing says " Your production should be slick and feature state-of-the-art virtual instruments and samples." so I don't feel this is what they are after.

It's hard to say what could be improved because I feel like it's " everything " that needs stepping up an awful lot. Maybe the best place to start is listening to a lot of current Pop consistently so you "know " it inside and out. Then it's easier to recognize what's going on in the reference tracks and learn to replicate.

Mark

DexWilliams
Active
Active

Post by DexWilliams » Sat May 08, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks Mark,

I know what you mean by dated sounds and will pass those comments on to NI and my internal monologue :)

The trouble I find is with listening to references that have a certain vibe and then trying to avoid being too similar.

Live and learn I guess!

Cheers,

Dex

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Mon May 10, 2021 8:23 am

The first thing you should do is try to sound EXACTLY similar - which is hard enough to do. When you get there, you can worry about being "too similar" and changing things to diverge - but that will be the easy part.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 am

Zaychi wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 8:23 am
The first thing you should do is try to sound EXACTLY similar - which is hard enough to do. When you get there, you can worry about being "too similar" and changing things to diverge - but that will be the easy part.
Copying the ref track not for note / sound for sound and seeing how close you can get is a good exercise. You only need to do 4 or 8 bars but you will learn quite a lot

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon May 10, 2021 11:51 am

A lot of the ref track sounds are retro, so the 'dated' comment could easily be applied to those too. That said, the big chords you use at 55s definitely send me back a good 30y or so :).

According to my ears, the ref tracks all have excitement, the drums are up-front and there's panorama of percussion to add to the excitement. By comparison, your track seems to have a wash of reverb on the whole mix that flattens it all, pushes everything back, and dulls the overall sound. I reckon if you can get a lot closer to the production in the ref tracks it would help a lot (although I'd still avoid that sound at 55s ;)).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.