I don't understand this particular critique

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

I don't understand this particular critique

Post by Picardster » Mon May 10, 2021 2:53 am

Hi Fellow Passengers,

I always try to learn from the critique I get. And most of the times I can understand what the screener meant.

But in this case I'm completely clueless. I'd really appreciate your help.

Its about a singer/songwriting tune listing which I think is not relevant here.

I submitted this tune Raindrops Falling On My Window

The part of the critique which I do not understand is the following

The transition at 1:01 needs to be adjusted. Smooth out the guitar at 1:59.

While I can understand that the transition at 1:01 may be a matter of taste (I still like it), the "guitar-smooting-critique" at 1:59 is completely strange to me.

Does anybody have an idea.

BTW: I got a forward on this listing as well - so basically all is good. But, hey, aren't we all trying to get better? ;)

P.S. One more question: I used the link to my disco account since I don't know how to share even a public song here on Taxi....Any tips?

Cheers in advance :-)
Last edited by Picardster on Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: I don't understand this particular critique

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 10, 2021 3:23 am

Seems very nit picky to me - I didn't have an issue with either of them personally

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Mon May 10, 2021 12:24 pm

Link
Once your song is public, you can just click on the song and copy/paste the web address from the song page. We will then be able to see it.

The one - very important caveat - you can NOT be logged in to your account when you go to your song. You have to access the song when logged out of your account to get a viable link.

Song
I am really struggling to hear ANY issues in either of those transition points. Any chance the critique was accidentally entered from some other song by the listener. I have heard - on rare occasions - that this can happen.

Or . . . is the listener referring to the prominence of the bass during those transitions (the only thing I thought might be a bit off)?

Forward
It is awesome that you got a forward! That certainly does make the return easier. :)

Best of luck to you,
Johnny

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Mon May 10, 2021 2:16 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:10 pm
Picardster wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:53 am
P.S. One more question: I used the link to my disco account since I don't know how to share even a public song here on Taxi....Any tips?
You have to edit the song and tick the box to make it public. I think there are then ways to link to the song directly, but it is easier to link to the public profile on which your song then should show up.

Tom
Cheers Tom, the song is set to "public" but, most likely as Johnny wrote in the post below yours I took the link of the song while I was logged in. And so my linkchekc didn't deliver the intended result :-)

Cheerio/Stefan

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Mon May 10, 2021 2:20 pm

johnnyrowing wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 12:24 pm
Link
Once your song is public, you can just click on the song and copy/paste the web address from the song page. We will then be able to see it.

The one - very important caveat - you can NOT be logged in to your account when you go to your song. You have to access the song when logged out of your account to get a viable link.

Song
I am really struggling to hear ANY issues in either of those transition points. Any chance the critique was accidentally entered from some other song by the listener. I have heard - on rare occasions - that this can happen.

Or . . . is the listener referring to the prominence of the bass during those transitions (the only thing I thought might be a bit off)?

Forward
It is awesome that you got a forward! That certainly does make the return easier. :)

Best of luck to you,
Johnny
Cheers for listening, Johnny. The bass sometimes is my weakness. I like a warm tone and have a tendency to overdo it with the 100-200Hz area. I'll doublecheck that. Could be that the headphones if the screeners enhance these areas more than my monitors - although I normally check my mixes with my monitors with and without sonar works, plus with headphones....But...who knows.

At least a hint what could have been meant :-)

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Mon May 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Nice track..beautiful song. Yes I can hear a minor "thump" at the 1:01 but because you pointed it out and I was listening for it, it is nothing that sticks out to get a rejection.

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Tue May 11, 2021 1:01 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:52 pm
Nice track..beautiful song. Yes I can hear a minor "thump" at the 1:01 but because you pointed it out and I was listening for it, it is nothing that sticks out to get a rejection.
Cheers Andre

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue May 11, 2021 4:21 am

What a lovely song with very tasteful elements.

For mine the piano could play a more supportive and minimalist role. The old less is more philosophy. There is plenty going on with the guitar and a little bit of low end support plus a tiny bit o spice would suffice. :lol:
You have done a great job though.
Just my 2 cents.

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm

lesmac wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:21 am
What a lovely song with very tasteful elements.

For mine the piano could play a more supportive and minimalist role. The old less is more philosophy. There is plenty going on with the guitar and a little bit of low end support plus a tiny bit o spice would suffice. :lol:
You have done a great job though.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers Lester :)

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Sat May 15, 2021 2:52 am

Cheers all for your help. Your comments plus the screener's critique made me remix that whole tune.

BTW: in this case I tried Slatedigtal's Infinity EQ, which I hadn't used all the time out of pure laziness to learn that tool. It is a real weapon. The only thing that is missing, is the dynamic EQ function (which Fabfilter ProQ has). But apart from that - more than recommendable. Just my 5 Cents.

So if anyone is interested in listening to that new mix, here is it:

Raindrops Falling on My Window (2021 V2)

Cheers again