Russian instrumental cue review

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fretman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Russian instrumental cue review

Post by fretman » Wed May 12, 2021 1:16 pm

Hello everyone, one of my recurring issues causing returns seems to be creating an arc. I have written the following cue for the Russian instrumental request (detailed below):
https://www.taxi.com/members/zuHdYfRqTI ... paul-smith

Does this sound "Russian"? I used domras, balalaikas, and a bayan - all Russian instruments. So the sound should be there. Hopefully I captured the melancholy Russian atmosphere.
Do the instruments sound real? I'm a string player, not a bayan player.
Does it have an arc?
Thank you for any opinions you're willing to share. I'm always learning and developing the "arc" is my top priority at the moment.

Request # S210517RU says this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Bunch of MINIMALISTIC, TRADITIONAL RUSSIAN INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a successful International Music Licensing Company with global distribution through a huge music conglomerate!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Dispatch Listing #D210410RU, but the Company wants to hear even MORE material! If you submitted to listing #D210410RU, please send different material this time around.

TAXI Tip: Want to be a standout with little competition in a particular genre in this company's catalog? Here's your chance! Less competition = More possible placements!

This Company is searching for Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references:
"Riabinouchka" by The Stars of St. Petersburg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO4OzUcrFz0
"Beryozka Medley" by Samovar Russian Folk Music Ensemble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1keqN8AQ0Y

Although one of the references has vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

Please submit Instrumental Cues that capture the essence of Traditional Russian music in a sparse and minimalistic way. Your Cues should have authentic-sounding rhythms, melodies, and instrumentation. Incorporating traditional instruments like the Balalaika, Domra, or Bayan could help your pieces feel more authentic. If you're using any virtual instruments to replace organic ones, they need to sound like the real thing – nothing stiff or obviously MIDI-driven will work, here. Build your Cues around a simple motif, and create a subtle sense of movement and dynamics by layering instruments in and out as they progress. Remember, simple is best for this pitch!

Quoting the Music Library: “We are looking for Cues that are sparse and somewhat simple. Only 4 to 6 instruments maximum. Keep them simple and try to introduce some edit points along the tracks. Very high bar, in terms of realism. Meaning, if any of the instruments sound too 'MIDI' then the Cues should be rejected.”

Your submissions need to be around 2 minutes long (nothing that runs 3 or 4 minutes, please) with non-faded, buttoned endings. Broadcast Quality is needed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Russian instrumental cue review

Post by swdaze » Wed May 12, 2021 7:24 pm

So far out of genre but here we go.

I like your tune sounds Russian to me. The EQ might be a little off whatever the lead instrument is might need a mid boost a little highs cut? Sounds different from the one on "Birch Tree Medley". I like the single note medley mixed in on that song as well you might try some of that.

Think it just needs some tweaking.

Good luck!!
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 am

Pretty good effort! Absolutely catches the melancholy atmosphere.

Main problem with it (I think) is the quick balalaika up-and-down picking (dunno the musical term for it sorry!) is too far in the front and too constantly present. When you listen to the ref track (Petersburg stars) that same sound is constantly swelling in and out, and sometimes is almost completely gone, leaving room for the harmonica and guitar to take the lead. In your track it becomes too repetitive/dull as the track proceeds... I think it needs more velocity changes and maybe sections where the playing isn't so fast as well.

fretman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by fretman » Thu May 13, 2021 11:37 am

Thank you for your comments! I can certainly make adjustments like those. I wish I had another set of ears that I can swap out when mine get fatigued. I lose all objectivity. I appreciate y'all taking a listen!

FYI, "quick up-and-down picking" = tremolo.

ssobiech
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ssobiech » Thu May 13, 2021 6:39 pm

You might be able to get close to adding more interest to this cue by editing some of it out. It's about 2:30 long, maybe try chopping out 15-20 seconds of sections that seem repetitive. It sounds Russian to me, whether the screener thinks so is another matter. Swells and adding and subtracting were good suggestions. I love the accordion. Nice playing!

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun May 16, 2021 4:38 am

I thought you could have gone for the raised seventh when you went to the step below the tonic.

The tremolo picking needs to be varied if you're going to do it that often on held pitches. One thing I've seen done is to just play one held pitch without tremolo the first time there's a long note. Then play two the second time. Then play a triplet the third time. Play four the time after that then play a quintuplet after that before finally going to 16th note tremolo and you don't have to hold it for the entire duration each time once you've arrived either.

If you've really got a lot of them you can try two steps forward one back by falling back to the two pitches once you've played the triplet, playing the triplet after that, then the four attacks before falling back to the triplet again in a kind of 123234345456567678789 kind of thing.

Then there's encircling the pitch with a note above and coming back. The next time play the note below and back. Then above and below. Below and above. All while you're playing the tremolo. There's also the mordent, the repeated mordent, the trill, the accelerating trill, and the accelerating trill ending in a vibrato. Gotta have strategies if you're not going to switch to another instrumental timbre.

fretman
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by fretman » Tue May 25, 2021 7:22 pm

Thanks for all your comments. My piece got forwarded! The only comment was the reviewer wished it built up sooner. Frankly, I have a hard time with that. If I build up too soon I have no where to go before the piece has reached its desired length. I need to study more build techniques.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Wed May 26, 2021 1:54 pm

Congrats!

Remember that part of building is also breaking it down again, so you can just have a second build cycle))