Should I buy these mics?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Should I buy these mics?

Post by Merryband1 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:03 am

Sweetwater is having a microphone sale this month, and as a lot of you know, I really need some new mics. I put 3 mics into my shopping cart, but I'd like some opinions before I actually buy them. I was going by customer reviews, plus input on what each one does well.

Small condenser mic: AKG P170 small-diaphragm condenser mic. This is purported to be good for recording things like harps and other instruments that have a lot of sustain.

Large condenser mic: AKG P120 large-diaphragm condenser mic. This one would be better for vocals, etc.

USB portable mic for live recording outside using the laptop: Samson Go Mic Portable USB Condenser mic. It has two patterns: cardioid and Omni, which would be great for working with the band. It also has its own built-in phantom power, so I wouldn't need an interface. I know it's only 16 bit and 44.1kHz, CD quality, but at this time, the band probably wouldn't need more than that, and I probably wouldn't be using it for anything except outdoors. (Unless I used it for videoconferencing, but that's another story.)

I know these aren't any of them the best on the market, but they're reasonably inexpensive. If you have experience with any of them, I'd love to know what you think of them! Thanks!

Merry

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Should I buy these mics?

Post by Telefunkin » Mon May 17, 2021 2:34 pm

After you've narrowed down your choices (like you seem to have) it might be worth visiting this site for a listen........
https://www.audiotestkitchen.com/
I haven't checked but I assume you'll find the AKGs there.

Nothing beats trying mics out yourself, but this is about as good as it gets before you buy. You can put your chosen mics up beside the ultimate 'money is no object' mics and see what you're missing (or not) - subject to your listening device of course.

Don't forget though, the mic is only part of the equation. Your own recordings will still be influenced by performer, performance, instrument/vocal quality, mic placement, direction, proximity, reflections, room modes, room reverberation, background noise, preamp, etc. If you've got all those things sorted you're in a stronger position to make the most of the mic. I'm sure I could easily make very bad recordings using even the best and most expensive mic you can find :). I hope you find mics that make you happy though.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Mon May 17, 2021 3:17 pm

Grab em before they get snavelled up! ;)
Last edited by lesmac on Mon May 17, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon May 17, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi Marion,
Just throwing this out - if it were me buying these mics, I'd be tempted to double up on the P170 (small diaphragm mic) so I could do some stereo-miking on all the fine acoustic instruments that I'd record. I'd skip the P120 unless I was recording instruments with a strong fundamental tone such as live brass or percussion (such as the bodhran). Others will disagree with me, that's OK.

Do you have an interface that supplies the required 48vdc phantom power?

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 pm

Others will disagree with me, that's OK.
:lol:

A stereo pair is a luxury when you want a collection of mics to cover all bases.

I have a pair of SDCs but mostly use one with a ribbon or LDC for recording acoustic instruments. It's nice to position then mix the two flavours to taste.

SDC's aren't usually a go to for vocals.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon May 17, 2021 7:27 pm

lesmac wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:26 pm
SDC's aren't usually a go to for vocals.
Good point!