Ozone Elements

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Ozone Elements

Post by RickBourassa » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Does anyone use Ozone Elements Advanced for mastering? Is it worth the price?

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Ozone Elements

Post by lesmac » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:16 pm

I'd wait and get Elements for free. Then wait again and decide if you want to expand into more of their products during another sale that offers an upgrade path.

TBH you can pretty well master with stock plugins. The Ozone products have some interesting features with A I and track matching, Tonal Balance etc but on an older system if you "master in session" they can strain the system a bit. They do mine anyway.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:05 am

I had no experience with mastering my tracks at all prior to last summer. I was trying to use some of the stock plugins (limiters, etc) in Logic to get my tracks to be louder and have more of a brickwall wave form. I wasn't having good results. I ended up trying out IK's Lurssen Mastering Console and it was a simple push-button way to get the results I wanted, so I bought it. Eventually I got the Ozone standard and then Ozone Advanced as part of an upgrade bundle. I go back and forth-- sometimes I use the Lurssen and sometimes I prefer Ozone on a track.

I haven't used the Elements, but Standard was good-- Advanced has a LOT of stuff that I don't think I'll ever use. Some of the Ozone stuff is nice with the AI, but I have no idea what it's really doing-- so when I use it, it's almost like I'm handing my homework over to someone else to finish. I do like the sheer number of presets available in Ozone-- if you're going for a particular genre, these can be very helpful. But I don't really like Izotope's layout/GUI that much compared to some others.

I've also starting using T-RackS 5 for mastering. Lots of great mastering chain presets- and the way they're laid out I find it easy to make certain tweaks. In terms of aesthetics, it's easy on my eyes and is fun to use.

If I didn't own any of these things, I'd probably begin with Ozone Elements as I imagine it would be a great start for not a lot of cash. The thing about plugins-- they can add up to a lot of money and some will give great results immediately, but often you have to spend a lot of time learning how to use each plugin in depth to get the best value from your investment. I'm still a noob at this stuff, relatively. One of the nice things about the Izotope bundle I bought was that it came with a 1 year subscription to Groove 3-- which has an endless supply of tutorial vids on almost every plugin out there.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:12 am

RickBourassa wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:28 pm
Does anyone use Ozone Elements Advanced for mastering? Is it worth the price?
It is worth it if you're cranking out a lot of music for libraries because you can stick the plugin at the end of your 2buss, turn on the mastering assistant and it will get you most if not all of the way there in about 30 seconds.

I usually tweak what it's done and I have a couple of other things in my chain but it's a much faster workflow to master in the DAW session but to also have some AI assisted voodoo that actually works pretty well is a huge time saver.

Mark

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:28 am

Yes its good and useful. If you keep your eye on various plugin vendors (such as Plugin Boutique) they often give it away with other purchases. Also, there's this bundle that includes Ozone Elements amongst a bunch of other things for a ridiculously low price.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ge-nosto-2
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:24 am

Thanks guys.

I downloaded the essentials version for free last week and thought the same thing about improved workflow. The wizard certainly saves a ton of time. I then downloaded the 10 day free trial for the pro version. The Tonal Balance plugin is also very cool.

This has been an expensive month with a new Native Instruments S88, Komplete Ultimate and an SSD to put it all.

The Native Piano and String libraries sound amazing. I am feeling very inspired and now have a lot of work to do.