Would Kurt Cobain have made a deal in here?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Would Kurt Cobain have made a deal in here?

Post by shoodBworkin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:57 am

Kurt Cobain hacking out instrumental bits for music libraries? lol Best laugh of the morning, thanks

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:29 am

Picardster wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:05 am
I, for me, will submit to less listings - only to the ones which are I my wheelhouse. Learning genres which do not tickle me, is a burden. And it would not lead to good results. :-)
I've also been submitting to far fewer listings than I have at some points. However, I do enjoy working on the types that are out of my comfort zone, but genres I actually like and would like to be able to learn more about producing.

It is true that, most of the time, those don't end up in resulting in forwards. Then again, my natural styles tend not to be in any specific wheelhouse, partly because I like to incorporate influences from various genres and partly because I've never been a very good imitator. (I sometimes joke that I'm a really bad imitator, and that's why I'm an original.) Also, some of the forwards I've had have been ones written totally outside my wheelhouse, really just to try something different. (This can often be true of even my "normal" -- i.e. not done with any TAXI listing in mind -- productions, where maybe the direction I take is influenced by wanting to try out a new virtual instrument.) That said, of the six forwards I've had since rejoining TAXI very late in 2018, five were outside my wheelhouse in one way or another. And my first time through TAXI (a year somewhere around 2010 or 2011), three of my five forwards were completely outside my wheelhouse. (One of the pieces I wrote for a listing back then that was not forwarded at the time ended up being my first forward this time around, too.)

Even when no forwards result, though, I can end up with songs I really feel positive about and that are different from what I'd likely have come up with purely organically, so this can be one way to prevent getting stale. Also, I may learn new production techniques in the process, and those can be applied in other areas. I suppose I typically pick listings that I feel will challenge me in some way, especially in areas where there is something I am interested in learning.

In my case, submitting to fewer listings is a combination of focusing a bit more on finishing recordings I've had in some "close" state to finished state (some of which originated from TAXI listings and others that did not), and in some cases recording songs I've had on my backlog "forever" (e.g. my next single will be one I wrote back in 2008), and putting those out into the world, and (at least for now) deciding to focus more on listings where I think the potential work that arises from it will be something I that excites me, as opposed to something I am creating as if for a day job. That latter aspect means focusing more on songs than on instrumentals, and songs tend to take a lot longer to write and produce.

Rick

Picardster
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Picardster » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:13 pm

BTW: still not sure KC would have made it in here. But the tunes they played last night on Taxi-TV defo were worth it.....just saying

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am

I just don't 'get' the question.
Would a sumo wrestler be any good at hang-gliding?
Would Picasso have made a good Disney animator?
Is a horse better than a camel?
:roll: :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing.

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:12 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am
I just don't 'get' the question.
Would a sumo wrestler be any good at hang-gliding?
Would Picasso have made a good Disney animator?
Is a horse better than a camel?
:roll: :)
These are all questions to which there is no single answer. Everyone is good at what they do if they make the effort. You can't be lazy and pretend to be good and successful. Any success is work and self-realization.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 am

Picardster wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:16 pm
Hi Fellow Passengers,
with all this categorization and framework for listings going on here on Taxe I wonder if creative people who make music "out of the box", crossover stuff with new and creative sounds and tunes would be able to find deals in here, since such material would hardly fit into any wheelbase of any listing.

Any thoughts about that?
If we focus on Film/TV music which probably is 90% of what we do here... Someone coming on the scene with a new sound, might have trouble getting their music into libraries since they mostly want music that mimics what is mainstream popular now or recently. It's the nature of the beast. That's why there are the reference tracks in Film/TV listings. That being said, someone coming on with a new sound who develops a large following-- youtube, streaming, selling their own albums, etc. will be very desirable to music sups who like to work with emerging artists. This applies a lot to higher end placements like on Grey's Anatomy. Of course, once that newcomer is more well known, music libraries will ask for music that sounds like them.

This is not to say it's all copycat with no originality. It's just that a lot of the reason sups use music libraries is to find less expensive tracks that have similar sound to known artists whose music is too expensive for them to license.

And finally, there are no absolutes. Be the next Kurt Cobain and get back to me. ;)

:D Casey

superblonde
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by superblonde » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 am
That's why there are the reference tracks in Film/TV listings.
Beabadoobee's few tracks literally have already been used as references themselves multiple times. (She is a huge Nirvana fan by the way )
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead