Editing previous audio material to work as cues.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Editing previous audio material to work as cues.

Post by AudiniAudio » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:49 pm

I took one of my previous tracks based on Bob James' music for the hit TV series TAXI {appropo}. ( I don't have the project file anymore: just the audio file) and moved the chorus to be after the intro, deleted the verse, and went straight to the bridge before coming back to the chorus. I think it's useable as a cue. I wanted to put a 1 bar break between the intro and the first section/chorus because I see it's recommended for film cues to put a 1 bar break at the 14-15 second mark, but just splicing it even at the natural point when the chorus arrives at the 18 second mark and pulling them apart to leave a bar of silence sounds unnatural. There also doesn't seem to be a good place to put the other recommended breaks at 29 seconds and 59 seconds. It maxes out at 2 minutes. I've got 100 tracks I can do this to. I intend to remaster the tracks. What might you do in this case to make it acceptable as a cue?

https://soundcloud.com/greg-turner-5529 ... a-for-taxi

There's also the option of just leaving the tune as it was originally composed. But I see TV and film cues make more $$$$.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10382998

btw That's my beautiful wife.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Editing previous audio material to work as cues.

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:04 am

You're going to struggle if you no longer have the project files, Most Libraries will want various Alt mixes and possibly stems so their clients can make their own.

If you're unable to supply alts for them , then expect good quality libraries to pass on the tracks. You could always upload them to a royalty free site as they'll generally accept anything on an ' as is ' basis. I wouldn't waste time re-editing them if all you have is a stereo master though.

Having listened to the track I don't think it's really up to broadcast quality, it has a cheap/cheesy midi keyboard vibe to it and the style of music isn't anything like the libraries are looking for.

If all 100 tracks are similar I'd probably not waste any more time on them and start writing specifically for the listings.

Mark

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Editing previous audio material to work as cues.

Post by AudiniAudio » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 am

They're not all like that but great advice anyway. Thanks guys.