Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Sad Piano and strings

Post by Zaychi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:46 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:28 am

- Are you using 1st and 2nd violin, and maybe also still the violas? Tripling or at least doubling it might help make it sound richer and more natural (slightly different attacks). If you only use one voice, it may sound too MIDI.
The violins are three samples now, 1st-2nd and Labs, cello four (cello-viola-2x Labs), bass two.
CTWF wrote:

- Where it should be legato, are your MIDI-notes overlapping at least a 1/64 to 1/32?
They do that throughout, starting early. Especially the section between 1:53 and 1:57 remains a problem though, I can't get it to sound natural, the sound keeps "ducking" when the new note starts. Still I wanna change the part only as a last resort.
CTWF wrote:

- Have you slightly humanized the MIDI-times? A few samples can go a long way.
Didn't do that, will try.
CTWF wrote:

- Don't use the built-in reverb (it's more ambience than reverb, really). Put them on dry and use a nicer, separate reverb. E.g., use something like a "cathedral" preset, but go something like -5dB on the wet part and reduce the length to 1.5s to 2s. Play around with it.
Will try that one as well. Currently ALL teh reverb is the inherent one.
CTWF wrote:

Tom

P.S.: Piano still feels too "felty" and muffled.
Heh, already added clarity to the border of what I felt like getting "harsh"... maybe I'm too accustomed to the "old" sound. Will get some more opinions on this in my private (non-soundfreak) circle.

Thanks a lot, really helpful!!

Jur.

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Sad Piano and strings

Post by Susanstunes » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:34 am

Yes, it is better, more cohesive.
Still the melodies in the piano keep grabbing my ear starting at around :50, sounding "off" - I think you can solve by moving some of those repeated 3-note phrases that go down (minor chord) UP AN OCTAVE or invert the phrases or something, it is very repetitive and lacks a real moving , compelling melody - and support from the strings maybe change the voicings to open up the chords. I don't think it is great the way it is. I'm just talking about the composition. At around 1:30 there is a nice change and the writing opens up.

Still believe a lush pad played higher than the strings would help too!

Susan