We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

PD CHRISTMAS SONG: We Three Kings

Post by CTWF » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:02 pm

Hey forum friends

Here is our first draft for the listing below. An ethereal version of We Three Kings, somewhat inspired by Enya.

DELETED - new version below.

Any comments are welcome! :)

Tom

--

CONTEMPORARY COVERS of PUBLIC DOMAIN CHRISTMAS SONGS in ALL GENRES with Male or Female Vocals are needed by an A-List Music Publisher for Film and TV sync licensing.

We’re not providing any references for this request, as the requesting company wants to keep this pretty open.

Quoting the Company: "Pop! Punk! Crooner! We want it all!"

Please submit recently recorded Covers of Public Domain Christmas Songs that capture the joy of the holiday season! Excellent musicianship, high-quality, genre-appropriate arrangements, solid intonation (nothing pitchy!), and inviting rhythms are required for this pitch. Captivating, well-performed vocals are a must, as well! Although this Publisher is open to hearing music from all genres, your submissions should be clearly Christmasy – your recordings should stay as close to the original melodies as possible so they're recognizable to listeners, as well!

NOTE: Because the bar will be high for this request, we've given the screeners this mandate: Is it GREAT? Can the client use it? Would it work well for placements in Film and TV?

Broadcast Quality is needed.

Please double check to make sure the Covers you submit are truly Public Domain! In case you’re unsure if your Songs are in the Public Domain, here’s a link that will help: Public Domain Christmas Song List.

You need to own or control the Master recordings to submit for this pitch. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, June 15th, 2021. TAXI # S210615PD
Last edited by CTWF on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <--

Zaychi
Impressive
Impressive

Re: PD CHRISTMAS SONG: We Three Kings

Post by Zaychi » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Nice effort, good job keeping that voc so clear even soaked in FX!

The bangs towards the end reminded me of distant artillery fire, which isn't really a christmassy association...

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:23 pm

Well I wasn't expecting such nice vocals , so that's a plus. I think you did the right thing with the floaty kinda feel with the FX

Not sure about the synth bass, it's kind of out of character with the rest of it. I can't force myself to listen to an Enya record without vomiting but from what I remember I thought they were more organic.

0:23 Expected chord change in backing instruments is absent

0:47 Think it needs the music to develop more from here

1: 53 "him"...sounds like a bad edit

1:57 the "K" from the word king is missing

2:13 the deep drums seem to start playing a rhythm that's out of time with the track

Overall the mix is a little murky even though there's not much going on. I think if you're going to keep it this sparse you need to work harder on keeping the listener engaged with subtle changes and follow the chords of the song a little more otherwise there's nothing to ground us. It also needs a proper ending.

Decent idea, you just need the music and production to step up to the same level as the singing

Mark

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:24 pm

Zaychi wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:01 pm
Nice effort, good job keeping that voc so clear even soaked in FX!

The bangs towards the end reminded me of distant artillery fire, which isn't really a christmassy association...
Hi Jur

Thanks for listening!

Yes, we are aware that this tends more towards melancholy, or even fantasy, and that we might not really capture the particular "joy of the holiday season", but possibly a more introspective Christmas emotion. Could be a deal breaker, but it was the route our collab took.

Tom

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:48 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:23 pm
Thanks for commenting, Mark. I had to do some intrusive transient/EQ work on the vocals, because this was only a draft with an mp3 for the vocals. That might explain some of what you wrote.

Working on it. :)

Tom

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 am

NEW VERSION:
Vocals are now HQ with better, less intrusive de-essing.
Chord change at 0:23 (and back soon afterwards), high piano chord down added 0:45 and 0:53 (and later again at the same spot).
Bass (strings) and choir may be a little more pronounced.

DELETED - new version below.

Any comments welcome!
Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peterg
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Peterg » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:13 am

CTWF wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 am
NEW VERSION:
Vocals are now HQ with better, less intrusive de-essing.
Chord change at 0:23 (and back soon afterwards), high piano chord down added 0:45 and 0:53 (and later again at the same spot).
Bass (strings) and choir may be a little more pronounced.

https://soundcloud.com/ctwf/we-three-ki ... ON9ES3Fdlr

Any comments welcome!
Tom
Hi Tom, sounding good to me. Low percussion towards the end is a bit distracting although I like the idea of some distant rumbling.
Maybe needs some work on the clarity with all the reverb going on, I assume you have the reverb on sends rather than inserts so that you can eq and fine tune the reverbs on their own channel.
Maybe some hi chimes, bell tree type percussion would be nice and add to the Christmassy feel. Maybe not going as far as sleigh bells, but something that sounds like the clatter of the wise men's camels in the distance perhaps.

Good luck!

Peter

KennyWayneBuffalo
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by KennyWayneBuffalo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:28 am

Sounds really good. I was surprised you didn't change the chord for the chorus, which would be expected. Have you tried that? It has a nice ambience.
Ken

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:41 am

Peterg wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:13 am
Hi Tom, sounding good to me. Low percussion towards the end is a bit distracting although I like the idea of some distant rumbling.
Maybe needs some work on the clarity with all the reverb going on, I assume you have the reverb on sends rather than inserts so that you can eq and fine tune the reverbs on their own channel.
Maybe some hi chimes, bell tree type percussion would be nice and add to the Christmassy feel. Maybe not going as far as sleigh bells, but something that sounds like the clatter of the wise men's camels in the distance perhaps.

Good luck!

Peter
Thanks for listening and commenting, Peter!

The reverb re drums should be a little clearer now. I also added some camel's clatter at 1:43, 1:55, 2:26, and 2:43. :)

LINK REMOVED

Tom

EDITed for very newest version. LOL
Last edited by CTWF on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

CTWF
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CTWF » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 am

KennyWayneBuffalo wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:28 am
Sounds really good. I was surprised you didn't change the chord for the chorus, which would be expected. Have you tried that? It has a nice ambience.
The actual song feels major in the B parts, we changed that to a minor feel. :) We also changed the overall key.

Tom
Last edited by CTWF on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.