Feedback please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback please

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am

I doubt I'd be able to add anything of great value to what Andy has already said, and recently added more to. All I would say is that I think the new version has some of the same or similar issues to the earlier version, although the lead sound is good again.

I randomly chose a library (although it is a top-tier one) and entered 'Spanish' in the search box. Here's what came up...
https://www.extrememusic.com/albums/149 ... E2XQ%3D%3D
I'm not suggesting that you should use these as reference tracks for this submission, but you could use them as a guide to the standard of production music of this type and maybe take some tips on the style, sound, playing, mix, etc. (although the last two tracks are somewhat different). Effectively, this could be your competition, so the closer you can get to your track sounding like and sitting comfortably alongside those library tracks, the more chance you have of library acceptance and placement.

Maybe there's not enough time to rework this track for the Taxi listing, but its still worth spending some more time on because all relevant learning is money in the bank and will help you with future acoustic submissions. Follow Andy's advice and keep going. It'll get easier.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KarenBraysher

Post by KarenBraysher » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:43 pm

Hi Telefunkin

Thank you for taking the time to feedback and also supply some fantastic resource music which I have enjoyed listening to, and had no idea where to look myself. I heard on there a really famous composition, outstanding quality to this. It seems I have good ideas can play lead but fall down on production and supporting instruments.

I need to get better at this, it really sticks out now.

It is easy to give up, but you have encouraged me to keep going, thank you.

Karen
:idea: “It’s unhealthy to bottle up feelings”

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 am
I doubt I'd be able to add anything of great value to what Andy has already said, and recently added more to. All I would say is that I think the new version has some of the same or similar issues to the earlier version, although the lead sound is good again.

I randomly chose a library (although it is a top-tier one) and entered 'Spanish' in the search box. Here's what came up...
Good find!

Interesting that the first two pieces are easily recognized as traditional Flamenco forms that have infinite variations - Solearas and Bulerias. Although they are traditional forms they are attributed as 100% original to the artist.

The version of Recuerdos de la Alhambra was great. And it was recognized as a "traditional" piece and so the artist likely receives a smaller royalty than the usual 100% of writers. But no mention of Francisco Tarrega.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:52 pm

KarenBraysher wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:43 pm
Thank you for taking the time to feedback and also supply some fantastic resource music which I have enjoyed listening to, and had no idea where to look myself.
You're welcome, although it took just a few seconds to find those tracks because I have a mental list of libraries that I might explore to find references. Perhaps it would also be useful for you to hunt down a few big international production music libraries so you can check out their content the next time you need some inspiration. Half an hour of Google and you can make your own list libraries to explore. It can be humbling to hear how good the content is at times, but that's the real world beyond a Taxi 'forward', and the standard that we all aspire to.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:59 pm

andygabrys wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:15 pm
Good find!

Interesting that the first two pieces are easily recognized as traditional Flamenco forms that have infinite variations - Solearas and Bulerias. Although they are traditional forms they are attributed as 100% original to the artist.

The version of Recuerdos de la Alhambra was great. And it was recognized as a "traditional" piece and so the artist likely receives a smaller royalty than the usual 100% of writers. But no mention of Francisco Tarrega.
As usual Andy, you know far more about this than I do, so I should keep quiet :). I'm just a jobbing electric guitarist who 'fakes' his way through a number of styles (but not Spanish)!

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:24 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:59 pm
andygabrys wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:15 pm
Good find!

As usual Andy, you know far more about this than I do, so I should keep quiet :). I'm just a jobbing electric guitarist who 'fakes' his way through a number of styles (but not Spanish)!
Ha. Not really. But reading the info on each track gives tou an idea of what’s up.

Copyright is a big deal with libraries of that statute no doubt.