New Forum Member

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pgboynton

New Forum Member

Post by pgboynton » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Hello fellow TAXI members -

I'm taking a moment to introduce myself and hope to add to the discussions here on the forum.

I grew up in Maine and Massachusetts and got a music theory/composition degree from UMass, Amherst.

After college I headed to NYC and first used TAXI back in the early 90s when it had just opened for business. Lots of mailers and cassette tapes in those days...

I'm re-visiting my songwriting passion after a 20+ year acting career in NYC and LA that included Broadway, Daytime TV and film work, immediately followed by 20+ years in VT raising a family on an old dairy farm property I restored. We have hosted weddings and summer theater here for a couple of decades now, (www.theskinnerbarn.com).

Though it's a small community, the town of Waitsfield in the Mad River Valley has produced a few notable young songwriter/performers during my time here. Two of my former theater students at the local HS are getting noticed: Grace Potter is now Grammy-nominated, and Shaina Taub is writing the lyrics for a Broadway adaptation of 'The Devil Wears Prada' with Sir Elton John writing the music. Not bad for kids from a small VT town!

We'll see if there's any commercial viability for my songs. I'm getting good feedback from TAXI screeners and am enjoying having the time to learn the craft better. So far the biggest hurdle I've found is finding good outlets to make more fleshed-out demos of my songs. I have some good studio productions that David Frank and Jon Gordon worked on with me back in the 80s and 90s, but they are a bit 'vintage' now.

I've attended one TAXI TV session and have started looking around on the forum. I hope to speak (cyber-wise) with some of you in the future!

Best - Peter Boynton (BMI) Waitsfield, VT

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Re: New Forum Member

Post by AudiniAudio » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Currently on a farm with cows and chickens. We're watering plants, hoeing, feeding the cows, shoveling manure, spreading it around, planting when it's time, pulling up the corn stalks when they're ready, pounding corn into flour. You probably know the drill. Welcome and we look forward to hangin' out.

pgboynton

Post by pgboynton » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:16 pm

We have a vegetable garden but no 'critters'....except for wedding guests (grin).

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:31 pm

Welcome Peter!
Great background for doing Taxi. Remember to enjoy yourself. :D
Ceo of my own life

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Nice intro Peter.

Looking forward to hearing some verses and choruses. :lol:

pgboynton

Post by pgboynton » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:54 pm

Thanks for the responses - it's fun to see that members are located all around the world!

pgboynton

Post by pgboynton » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 am

Hi Tom -
Thanks for the note.
I have a pretty good DAW set up on a Mac using Digital Performer, though I’m moving to Logic Pro X to take advantage of my new M1 Mac.
I’m a keyboard player primarily, though I have some proficiency on an acoustic guitar.
I can make clean, clear demos that show the song well but all the postings and screener comments seem to want fuller production values, so I’ll be spending some money with a demo service.
I’ve enjoyed Germany the few times I’ve been there. My wife and I have an extended stay in Italy next on the agenda.
Best - Peter