We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DexWilliams
Active
Active

More... Sad Strings & Piano

Post by DexWilliams » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:19 am

Hi all,

I'm halfway through this at the moment, but would welcome any feedback before I finish it off.

SOUNDCLOUD LINK

Many thanks,

Dex

Listing Below:

MODERN SAD STRINGS & PIANO INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Licensing Company with a large list of placements in Films, TV Commercials, and A-List TV Shows.

NOTE: This Company has signed lots of TAXI members over many years and nailed down lots of placements for them!

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

"Sad Romance" by Ji Pyeong Kwon

"Flight From the City" by Jóhann Jóhannson

"þÚ Ert Jörðin" by Ólafur Arnalds

Please submit well-composed Instrumental Cues with an overall sad sound and feel. Your submissions should contain a combination of Piano and String instrumentation – if you're planning on using any virtual instruments, they need to sound like the real thing and not stiff, dated, or obviously MIDI-driven. Polished production and moving melodies are a must for this pitch. Craft your Cues around a singular motif, and layer instrumentation in and out as they progress to create a sense of forward momentum.

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: More... Sad Strings & Piano

Post by JuanMacias » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:22 am

Hi Dex!

I think your piece conveys the sad emotion that the listing is asking for. so you definitely nailed on this regard.
maybe my only suggestion would be for the strings to appear earlier in the piece and stick out a little more. you could double them in octaves so there is more of a sound difference.
I think the piano sounds very cool. Did you play it yourself?

Juan

DexWilliams
Active
Active

Post by DexWilliams » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:43 am

JuanMacias wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:22 am
Hi Dex!

I think your piece conveys the sad emotion that the listing is asking for. so you definitely nailed on this regard.
maybe my only suggestion would be for the strings to appear earlier in the piece and stick out a little more. you could double them in octaves so there is more of a sound difference.
I think the piano sounds very cool. Did you play it yourself?

Juan
Thanks Juan!

I agree the strings need to come in earlier as I read the listing again and TAXI suggest that too. Good suggestion of octaves and think I can make that the A section.

Piano was indeed played by me!

Dex

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:04 pm

it feels as if the tempo is off, it has a very rushed feel to it. The string role is very sparse indeed, I think it needs more of them for this listing.

Then again what do I know?

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mwb2 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:05 pm

For my ears, the piano sounds much brighter (and maybe too reverby) than the refs. I agree that it's too rhythmic - the syncopated gestures in the piano create motion that I don't hear in the references.

My two cents,
Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

rpeckyno
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rpeckyno » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:53 am

It's very pretty and sad to me - but perhaps a bit active? One of the hardest things for me is playing "less" - I had a reviewer tell me to "add more space" and let that emptyness help create the mood.

I'd love more strings and a bit more forward in the mix.

Beautiful playing and a lovely composition though!
-robert peckyno / @streamingkeys
Pecknotes Productions: https://pecknotes.com
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/imaginaurium/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/tharsisdrip