First forward

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

First forward

Post by MJLeeman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 am

Hi All
I am a new Taxi member, having joined at the end of February this year.

Based in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, I have participated fairly regularly in the Taxi TV Quarantinis and regular weekly shows for the last couple of months.

I got my first forward today, a traditional Spanish instrumental cue.

https://www.taxi.com/members/nwRU7pygQr ... -of-spain-

My aim is to try to be as versatile as possible stylistically before maybe finding a few preferred genres to concentrate on. I am always willing to learn and improve and I have found that the Taxi approach, as communicated by Michael Laskow in the Taxi TV episodes, is instructive and practical and I am learning many things.

Kind regards
Michael Leeman

JuanMacias
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: First forward

Post by JuanMacias » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:54 am

Nice job, Michael! are you a classical music composer? your piece reminds me of Francisco Tarrega pieces. Congrats!!

Juan!

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks for your comment, Juan.
In answer to your question, I wouldn’t describe myself as a classical composer, though I did spend quite a lot of time studying classical guitar some time ago and at the time I used to write and play solo guitar pieces.
I am interested in having a go at any style/genre and learning about whatever needs to be done to write and produce music which would be acceptable to Taxi’s clients. Even if most of what I submit is not what is required, I am happy to build up my own catalogue of original music, which for me is a reward in itself, and getting placements I would regard as a bonus.

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Michael.

Nice guitar playing in your track! - I used to play Flamenco some years back but the constant trimming of fingernails got to me at the end haha so I switched back to the Electric :)
Always appreciate some nice guitar playing though! Best of luck!

Owen

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:37 am

Thank you, Owen. Regarding electric guitars, I have a 1983 Fender Strat, a so-called 2-pot model (one volume and one tone control knobs), but I've never been happy with the sound. Do you reckon plugins can make up for this deficiency, or should I maybe replace the pickups?

Cheers
Michael

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:13 am

MJLeeman wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:37 am
Thank you, Owen. Regarding electric guitars, I have a 1983 Fender Strat, a so-called 2-pot model (one volume and one tone control knobs), but I've never been happy with the sound. Do you reckon plugins can make up for this deficiency, or should I maybe replace the pickups?

Cheers
Michael
Hi Michael,

Depending on what kind of sound you're after. If you want for example a big heavy rock guitar sound, you are more likely to achieve that sound with humbuckers instead of single coil pickups (the ones that are usually on a Strat). What do you dislike about the tone? If it is something that has to do with the tone coming from an amp I have to say that nowadays I'm blown away by what plugins can do and in my opinion it is not worth the time and effort to learn how to mic and record an amp (especially doing library music which more often than not has tighter deadlines).

Hope that helps!

tc
owen

RobRaede
Active
Active

Post by RobRaede » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:28 am

Dude, that's really good. Having hung out in Spain a fair bit, it sounds very authentic to me. Did you play all the instruments?

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 pm

Thank you, Rob.
Yes, I played all of the tracks, several on a nylon string Takimine and one midi violin track. The only mike I had available for the guitar parts was an old Beyerdynamic, which might have helped somehow with producing a live sound, but I have since purchased a Rode N1 condenser microphone, which is what I will use in the future when recording nylon string guitar as I have found the sound to be clearer than a dynamic mike.

Cheers
Michael