Registering tracks with PROs

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ilikered
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Registering tracks with PROs

Post by ilikered » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Hi guys, I've had around 300 tracks "sold" to libraries in the last couple of years, but I've noticed not all of them have registered the tracks with my PRO (showing them as the publisher.) Should I be concerned about this, and should I register the tracks if they don't? I was told not to and never have for any of the library tracks I've done, but some of these tracks have been with the libraries for over a year and no registration and I'm a little concerned that I might be missing out on royalties. Can anyone with experience with this provide any advice on this?

thanks again,

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Registering tracks with PROs

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:28 pm

No need to do anything or worry. Many libraries don't routinely register every track they sign, they register when there is a placement or good chance of one. Remember, they get half the PRO royalties (the Publisher's share) so it's unlikely they wouldn't register a track that gets placed.

Best,
:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Libraries will make sure they get their rewards by registering your tracks with their own PRO, but not necessarily with your PRO. Some do, some don't, so its best to ask up-front and at least you'll know what to expect. If you happen to have the same PRO its easy for the library and you'll usually see your tracks show up in your account. If you have different PROs in the same country (e.g. BMI and ASCAP) they share the info anyway so it still shouldn't be a problem.

What seems more difficult is when the library's PRO is in a different country. For example, one of my tracks signed to a UK library has had a stream of broadcasts (in France) over the last 2 years or so, and I know it is registered with PRS (their PRO). However, the track is still not registered in my account at BMI and I'm told that I should not attempt to register it myself for various reasons. The expectation is that the reciprocal agreement between PROs (in this case SACEM in France and BMI as well as PRS) will eventually result in my royalties finding their way back to my BMI account via my IPI number, and also to the library's PRS account. After more than 2 years its a long wait for what might be just a few $, but in theory it should all work out in the end. :roll: :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Hi Telefunkin,

Sounds like the fun never stops just getting access to the information. It must be a conspiracy to keep artists in the dark. ;)

ilikered
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ilikered » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:28 pm
No need to do anything or worry. Many libraries don't routinely register every track they sign, they register when there is a placement or good chance of one. Remember, they get half the PRO royalties (the Publisher's share) so it's unlikely they wouldn't register a track that gets placed.

Best,
:D Casey
Hey thanks so much Casey, and everyone, just what I needed to know. I figured it didn't make sense they didn't register it but just wanted to make sure I dotted my "eyes" and crossed my "teeth" lol.

thanks again,