Serious Musician

Re: Those "nasty mid frequencies"

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:06 pm

Ted wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:52 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:13 am
[
Yeah I have a single Avantone Mixcube ..had it more or less since the active version came out ....10 yrs maybe..it's wired into my switchbox with a dedicated mono feed

I can heartily recommend one but expect it to be a slow burn rather than love at first listen.
Thanks Mark. I'm gonna pick one of these up. I was talking to some of the guys from the A/V team at my work last night and I asked them what they thought about the Mixcube and getting one for mono mixing and they were all for it.
Yeah you see them everywhere in the studios of people on YouTube , and in studios featured in SOS magazine etc.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:23 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:06 pm
Ted wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:52 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:13 am
[
Yeah I have a single Avantone Mixcube ..had it more or less since the active version came out ....10 yrs maybe..it's wired into my switchbox with a dedicated mono feed

I can heartily recommend one but expect it to be a slow burn rather than love at first listen.
Thanks Mark. I'm gonna pick one of these up. I was talking to some of the guys from the A/V team at my work last night and I asked them what they thought about the Mixcube and getting one for mono mixing and they were all for it.
Yeah you see them everywhere in the studios of people on YouTube , and in studios featured in SOS magazine etc.
I had the Avantone active Mixcube in my Sweetwater cart yesterday and was about to pull the trigger on it but wasn't quite sure exactly what kind of additional accessories I will need to run a second monitoring system so I held off on the order til I get this sorted out.

I was looking at the Mackie Big Knob as something that might be suitable for switching between monitors. I'm not sure exactly how it works with setting up a switching system. As it is now, I'm running my DAW output from my Mac into my Native Instruments Komplete 6 interface via usb, and then my Kali active nearfields are running out of that, via balance TRS cables. Would I need to have a second interface setup to run a Mixcube? I have an old Lexicon Lambda that still works.

Any help in simple terms how to set this up would be much appreciated.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:52 am

I have the Behringer Monitor 2USB but really would like the Audient monitor controller when budgets allow

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:25 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:52 am
I have the Behringer Monitor 2USB but really would like the Audient monitor controller when budgets allow
Thanks! I looked up the Behringer. So I'm just not sure how these things fit into a signal chain... This one has a USB. So does that mean that you set your DAW source input to your interface, but your DAW'S OUTPUT to the monitor contoller (instead of going back through the interface)?

That Audient thing looks cool but I have no idea what any of those features are.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:13 pm

Ted wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:25 pm
Thanks! I looked up the Behringer. So I'm just not sure how these things fit into a signal chain... This one has a USB. So does that mean that you set your DAW source input to your interface, but your DAW'S OUTPUT to the monitor contoller (instead of going back through the interface)?

It's pretty straight forward.. Audio outs from your interface to the Behringer via normal audio cables...then you have a 2nd source input which is audio or USB/Digital ( I don't use this actually )

Then there are 3 outs.

A & B are identical stereo and C is a dedicated summed mono output for a speaker such as an Avantone or similar

A is my Main Monitors , B is my Boombox , C is my Avantone

The Audient Nero is about 3 times the price but uses higher spec components , has a dedicated sub channel, and can change the level of each set of speaker independantly in it's own settings rather than having to match all 3 speakers using the controls on the monitors/boombox.

The Behringer has been fine but I have been lusting after the Nero ! Plus it's a wedge design so I can have it on my desk next to my other gear rather than up on a shelf.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:28 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:13 pm
Ted wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:25 pm

It's pretty straight forward.. Audio outs from your interface to the Behringer via normal audio cables...then you have a 2nd source input which is audio or USB/Digital ( I don't use this actually )

Then there are 3 outs.

A & B are identical stereo and C is a dedicated summed mono output for a speaker such as an Avantone or similar

A is my Main Monitors , B is my Boombox , C is my Avantone

The Audient Nero is about 3 times the price but uses higher spec components , has a dedicated sub channel, and can change the level of each set of speaker independantly in it's own settings rather than having to match all 3 speakers using the controls on the monitors/boombox.

The Behringer has been fine but I have been lusting after the Nero ! Plus it's a wedge design so I can have it on my desk next to my other gear rather than up on a shelf.
Ahh... that helps a lot. I appreciate it, Mark.