Does this bum you out? (sad strings/piano)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kitbenz51
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Does this bum you out? (sad strings/piano)

Post by kitbenz51 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 am

Could use some feedback on this one. I get a lot of criticism that I don't change things up enough or that my tracks are too static. Also how do the string sound?

Looking Inward - KB

Cheers,
Kit

mwb2
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Does this bum you out? (sad strings/piano)

Post by mwb2 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:37 am

Hi Kit,

I like a lot of it. I'm not a mixing expert so I can't give precise advice there but this mix sounds different than the refs, especially the second and third. This seems to have lots more mid-heavy room verb, whereas the refs seem closer miked but with long tails. The size of the string ensemble seems much larger in yours as well - the refs have a very intimate feel. Same for piano - it has kind of a far-away "in a bathroom" sound (I actually like it a lot but it's different than the refs).

Compositionally it seems in line with the refs in terms of pacing. It does seem thicker, more like the famous "funeral march" of Chopin for example, but I don't know that that's a bad thing? The first reference had a more cinematic, romantic sound, but the second two were more contemporary minimal so maybe there's some stylistic latitude.

Good luck!

Mike
Mike

soundcloud.com/mwb2
instagram.com/mikekrishton

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:47 am

Nice piece.

Bring up the volume of the strings a bit and it says in the listing to bring in the strings sooner than later although I am not sure at what point of the track is soon enough.

good luck

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 pm

I too am hearing the piano in a big room, at a distance. Not what I've come to expect from most ref tracks.
While changing register in the second pass :16 - :32 (ish) is effective, I'd like to hear the melody pass to the cello there. Allows the strings to come in earlier, and ... what's more sad than a solo cello line? ;)

Regardless, I like the piece: well-conceived and well-played. Thanks for sharing, Kit!

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:59 pm

It is sad. The block chords around 00:50+ are played a bit heavy handed for the mood.

If there is an inversion on piano at 01:39 it sounds like a wrong note.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

rpeckyno
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rpeckyno » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:33 am

The mood is very Requiem-ish. For me it's sad (and pretty dark)

The piano sound has that 'old time' slightly out of tune vibe. I personally like it for the piece, but it might be off ref.

Since the ref specifically said bring in the strings early, you might start with some low strings and build. Once you get to the peak, I really like the strings there!

Great job!
-robert peckyno / @streamingkeys
Pecknotes Productions: https://pecknotes.com
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/imaginaurium/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/tharsisdrip