Submit an instrumental of a song to an exclusive agreement and then release the full vocal version under your name?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RTippo

Submit an instrumental of a song to an exclusive agreement and then release the full vocal version under your name?

Post by RTippo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a new Taxi member and traversing this new world of music placements. I have a song that I want to release the full version under my own name and if I am lucky enough that it gets traction collect the royalties for myself.

I also have an instrumental version of the song that when the right listing comes up I want to submit to a music library.

My question is, would I run into issues if I release the full version under my own name using a distributor such as CD baby who would collect royalties on my behalf & then also keep the instrumental version for potential placements under exclusive contracts?

Thanks for your help, this is all new to me.

Rhys

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Submit an instrumental of a song to an exclusive agreement and then release the full vocal version under your name?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:03 am

RTippo wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:08 pm
My question is, would I run into issues if I release the full version under my own name using a distributor such as CD baby who would collect royalties on my behalf & then also keep the instrumental version for potential placements under exclusive contracts?
Short answer, yes would run into issues if you did that. They're the same work so you'd be breaching whatever exclusive deal you had signed.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Submit an instrumental of a song to an exclusive agreement and then release the full vocal version under your name?

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:41 am

RTippo wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:08 pm
Hi Guys,

I am a new Taxi member and traversing this new world of music placements. I have a song that I want to release the full version under my own name and if I am lucky enough that it gets traction collect the royalties for myself.

I also have an instrumental version of the song that when the right listing comes up I want to submit to a music library.

Thanks for your help, this is all new to me.

Rhys
It depends on the exclusive library. Some are only exclusive with respect to sync usage, you are still free to sell CDs, downloads, streaming (Spotify, etc.). Others are 100% exclusive to everything. I have exclusive deals with 2 Taxi-friendly libraries and others and I am able to have the songs on Spotify and the like. I have another exclusive deal which does not permit it. Check the contract and ask the library. Obviously, if you've already released through a distributor make sure you tell the library that before signing to make sure it is OK.

As a general point, the versions with and without vocals for a song are inseparable as far as ownership/copyright.

Good luck!
:D Casey