Unregistering a work or...

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Unregistering a work or...

Post by DBarnett » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:24 am

Howdy,
I submitted a track for review/approval to a non-exclusive library online
Part of their process is to go ahead and self register the track with my PRO (BMI)
They did not accept the track so now I have the problem that it is already registered and that is a problem for any potential libraries
I like the title I have but, rather than contact BMI and ask them to delete that registration should I just retitle the work and then submit to listings or publishers?
Thanks for your help!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Unregistering a work or...

Post by Casey H » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:30 pm

DBarnett wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:24 am
Howdy,
Part of their process is to go ahead and self register the track with my PRO (BMI)
They did not accept the track so now I have the problem that it is already registered and that is a problem for any potential libraries
I like the title I have but, rather than contact BMI and ask them to delete that registration should I just retitle the work and then submit to listings or publishers?
Thanks for your help!
Don't do anything. If you submit to other non-exclusive libraries, they will re-title and register the track with the new title (or original with a "tag"). If you get an exclusive deal, the registration can be amended then. As long as your original registration doesn't have another exclusive publisher on it, which it wouldn't from what you are saying, it should be fine.

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Casey H wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:30 pm
DBarnett wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:24 am
Howdy,
Thanks for your help!
Don't do anything. If you submit to other non-exclusive libraries, they will re-title and register the track with the new title (or original with a "tag"). If you get an exclusive deal, the registration can be amended then. As long as your original registration doesn't have another exclusive publisher on it, which it wouldn't from what you are saying, it should be fine.
Hey Casey,
Good news then, right?
I'm going to submit to an Exclusive Library I have a deal with. I should probably let him know the circumstances upfront I would think

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:08 pm

DBarnett wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:34 pm
Hey Casey,
Good news then, right?
I'm going to submit to an Exclusive Library I have a deal with. I should probably let him know the circumstances upfront I would think
You could, if they accept it. Good luck!

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:09 am

Thanks, Casey

YoungManTerrell
Active
Active

Post by YoungManTerrell » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:18 am

Seemingly easier to slip up as an composer, than an recording artist. As there are more restrictions as a composer. Even when, it's pretty easy to slip on both ends. Hope it gets all figured out. Two reputable musicians, you two are. I've enjoyed the recent interview Casey.

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:52 pm

YoungManTerrell wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:18 am
Seemingly easier to slip up as an composer, than an recording artist. As there are more restrictions as a composer. Even when, it's pretty easy to slip on both ends. Hope it gets all figured out. Two reputable musicians, you two are. I've enjoyed the recent interview Casey.
Thanks for the compliment Terrell
Indeed, great Interview Casey, your advice and experience is always very helpful